6 Replies - 894 Views - Last Post: 12 June 2009 - 04:42 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Just need my software to be tested

Posted 25 May 2009 - 03:42 PM

I need some feedback on my seftware, not if it works, but rather if the "Usage" makes sense.

If you have Python 3, then Please try "gen-passwd", "temp", and "dice" ... The rest were just Ideas or quick programs I wanted to write, didn't really design them. (If you do not have Python 3, then get it, it's much better if your starting from scratch)

http://theradclan.com/code_m/

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Just need my software to be tested

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Just need my software to be tested

Posted 30 May 2009 - 03:39 PM

No one? I could really use some feedback.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (cons :dic :head)

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2009 - 04:01 PM

Python 3 is not better.

EDIT:
The password generator is a neat little utility. Why would anyone want symbols in their password? Would be a lot "neater" if it had a GUI, but the actual functionality is nice.

By the way, this is my page for utilities written in python: http://programble.co.cc/linuxutils

Not all distros offer Python 3 in their repos yet... And who wants to compile from source?

EDIT 2:
You need a site design.

This post has been edited by programble: 06 June 2009 - 04:10 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:08 PM

Thanks, well appriated.

Py3 may not be "better", but it certainly has a cleaner syntax in certain areas.

and my page is just something quick to use as links.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:28 PM

The only big differences I've noticed in Py3 is that print is a function and that a try...except block can use 'as'. Py3 also doesn't seem to have pyGTK, so how are you supposed to make GUIs? A lot more third-party libraries support Py2.x.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:37 PM

View Postprogramble, on 8 Jun, 2009 - 01:28 PM, said:

The only big differences I've noticed in Py3 is that print is a function and that a try...except block can use 'as'. Py3 also doesn't seem to have pyGTK, so how are you supposed to make GUIs? A lot more third-party libraries support Py2.x.

I'm not meaning this to be a war, but yes, Py3 doesn't have a large library yet, but considering that the Python Developers are saying not to use it, and you must tell people to use before they will ever try to update anything, it's doing well. Also like you said exception handling has improved, and the print() and format() functions have changed slightly. You may also create a set without calling the function first, so you may x = {"x", "y"}, as where before this was assumed you meant a dict, but this will raise a SyntaxError because a dict must have keys (note that writing x = {} still assumes an empty dict). There are several other small changes that go unnoticed by simple programs.

I would agree with you about GUI programming, but I have not gone that far. Currently Py3 supports tk and qt.

Bottom line, my opinion is that unless there a third party lib you know that you need, you should be using Py3. (Not even the developers are gonna change my mind, so don't try to.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2009 - 04:42 PM

Real bottom line: If the devs are saying not to use it, people shouldn't use it.

End of Python 3 Discussion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1