5 Replies - 654 Views - Last Post: 27 May 2009 - 12:11 AM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Web Design

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:05 PM

I know, you have problably been asked this question a million times now, but I really stink at web design and this is the first time I have moved away from my beloved Java JSP.
I want to create a webpage. What languages(??) should I be using? For instance, if i wanted to create a website like this, is html and javascript enough?
Any advise appreciated
cheers
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Web Design

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Web Design

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:12 PM

There is no one specific language you have to learn when it comes to web design. You have to be proficient in HTML, CSS, Javascript, AJAX at least to build modern web sites. A big plus would be the knowledge of Flash and/or Silverlight. You will extremely need experience with a graphic application, like Photoshop or GIMP.

Then, if you want ot handle some more advanced tasks (like creating forums or shopping carts, but that's already more of the web development rather than web design) you will have to learn one of these (or maybe more): ASP.NET, PHP, JSP, ColdFusion. And of course you will need to know how to work with MySQL, SQL Server or any other RDBMS.

Also, when it comes to web design, my advice would be: do not use WYSIWYG editors to create web pages. From my own experience I can say that those create a mess of your page code and it only makes it harder to work with it later.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:53 PM

Its the same with java, I cant stand using WYSIWYG editors anyways. U mention the use of flash....I heard that flash websites are not recognised by google??
RDBMS are no problem, used enough of these when working with JDBC. JSP not really a problem once you get pass the configuring. Will have to look into a couple of the other technologies. I have been looking at the source of this website, and can only see the use of html, javascript and css. Does this mean that the other technologies you mention are created in their own applications and not in the same source as the html, or is this all this site uses? (I know with JSP you should generally seperate the JSP, server code and HTML code into their own editors).

Sorry if my words are confusing, didnt realise creating a webpage involved so much. Will have to research it in far greater detail!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:15 PM

Well as you know a web site can be divided in two parts - client side and server side. The source that you see is part of the client site - the HTML and Javascript code is nothing more but to build the site layout and show the information. Behind all this stands the server side part (the PHP code that handles the way the forums operate; of course it also connects to a RDBMS).

There are no actual specific 'applications' to create PHP/ASP.NET/CF code. There are IDEs (Integrated Development Environment) and simple editors. You can write the code even by using the Notepad. However, to run this code, you will need specific software (for example, tu run ASP.NET code your host server will need IIS installed).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:47 PM

View Postnick2price, on 26 May, 2009 - 04:05 PM, said:

I know, you have problably been asked this question a million times now, but I really stink at web design and this is the first time I have moved away from my beloved Java JSP.
I want to create a webpage. What languages(??) should I be using? For instance, if i wanted to create a website like this, is html and javascript enough?
Any advise appreciated
cheers

I'm building a personal site atm, it's also my first site. And wow did it go through a ton of beta's before it hit the final design. I'm using a combination of HTML/XHTML/CSS/Javascript/JQuery/PHP to code it. All the information is put into div tags to allow google to find it all. And then CSS is used for styling the entire site. Javascript/JQuery are being used to make the website flashier/ more usable. and then PHP for all the server side stuff I need done. Hope this helps

Cheers

PS. not sure if you're on a mac or not but CODA is a spectacular IDE for OS X if you have access to it. Covers all the bases.

This post has been edited by markhazlett9: 26 May 2009 - 09:48 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• blub

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:11 AM

I have been looking at the source of this website, and can only see the use of html, javascript and css.

like core alreay mentioned:
you cant see the server side code with your normal webbrowser!
you only see the client side code (the "sourcecode") with the browser
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1