Css, browsers and versions

When to stop tuning css for old browsers

Page 1 of 1

5 Replies - 977 Views - Last Post: 31 May 2009 - 01:56 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Css, browsers and versions

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:24 PM

I have been coding php, (x)html and css for several years now. The hardest thing to decide is, when do I stop tuning my css for a specific browser? Let's say, IE6!
Sometimes coding css gets really painful while tuning css for specific browser and you never seem to end up happy with your result ( thinks of IE6...) :rolleyes:

When do you stop tuning css for older browsers? Do you follow marketshare or do you watch the top most used browser of your visitors?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Css, browsers and versions

• blub

• View blog

Re: Css, browsers and versions

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:17 AM

always optimize your site for the newest used* browsers and 1 version behind
optimum between top used browser of your visitors and marketshare

and of corse
IE8 -> IE7
FF3 -> FF2
and so on
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I wrote you an code
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:31 AM

I refuse to deal with IE6. The world has moved on, and if you haven't, you're just like one of those bastards who is worried about the switch to digital television.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:46 PM

View Postautodog, on 27 May, 2009 - 10:24 PM, said:

I have been coding php, (x)html and css for several years now. The hardest thing to decide is, when do I stop tuning my css for a specific browser? Let's say, IE6!
Sometimes coding css gets really painful while tuning css for specific browser and you never seem to end up happy with your result ( thinks of IE6...) :rolleyes:

When do you stop tuning css for older browsers? Do you follow marketshare or do you watch the top most used browser of your visitors?

Offer them,in a AJAX Modal Box,if they're a first time visitor and have an old browser, a chance to download Firefox,Safari,Opera and The Other Up-To Date Internet Browsers.
The Most common browser is Firefox.

Don't make your modal box boring , add colors that stand out from your site,but not too much.Don't go for a Christmassy backgorund with a animated snowing bg.Keep ithe background grey,black to white gradient or silverand remeber to add images,maybe some js reflection if you can.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• andydust.com

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:27 AM

Obviously it depends a lot on your specific audience. While IE6 can be a pain to work with, 15% is still a fair chunk of browser share and it would be difficult to justify ignoring those people if your client was say an online retailer.

Having said that, I don't think websites need to look _exactly_ the same in every browser, just as long as they degrade gracefully.
It's probably not worth spending hours tuning/hacking in some fancy visual effect to IE6, when the site as a whole remains very usable.

Yahoo's graded browser support article provides a useful criteria: http://developer.yah...i/articles/gbs/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GAME OVER. NERD WINS.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2009 - 01:56 PM

check out the w3 browser usage stats
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -