What do you find important?

Page 1 of 1

6 Replies - 1394 Views - Last Post: 08 June 2009 - 08:59 PM

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

File System

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:32 PM

Well, as the description states, what do you think is most important that a File System (for computers) has? Is it read speed? Write speed? Ease of use? Organization?

Personally, I get annoyed with the length of time it takes for some files to open on my computer (even with 3 GB RAM), so I would say that (read) speed would be a large factor for me. Granted, that also kinda steps into organization, as the computer is slowed down by having fragments of files all over the place.

Discuss.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: File System

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: File System

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:22 PM

Portability.

I can't stand when something is NTFS formatted, only to find out that some friend needs help with something & I throw an NTFS formatted drive (thumb drive or USB conversion) onto his/her machine & they can't mount it. I suppose that's an OS issue to not having the file system loaded, but still. It works both ways. When someone brings something over for me to look at, I expect it to be something -> this side <- of recent so that I can read it on my FreeBSD or Linux systems. They can handle pretty much anything under the sun, but every once in a while...

*face palm* WHY are you still using Fat16?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:41 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 28 May, 2009 - 07:22 PM, said:

Portability.

I can't stand when something is NTFS formatted, only to find out that some friend needs help with something & I throw an NTFS formatted drive (thumb drive or USB conversion) onto his/her machine & they can't mount it. I suppose that's an OS issue to not having the file system loaded, but still. It works both ways. When someone brings something over for me to look at, I expect it to be something -> this side <- of recent so that I can read it on my FreeBSD or Linux systems. They can handle pretty much anything under the sun, but every once in a while...

*face palm* WHY are you still using Fat16?

Do you mean isn't NTFS formatted? Maybe you don't, but the way I'm reading it (combined with my...somewhat lacking...hardware knowledge) interprets a contradiction here...

This post has been edited by Locke: 28 May 2009 - 07:46 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:42 PM

I have that worded horribly wrong. :P

When someone has a system that can't read something as common place as NTFS...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:47 PM

Ah ok...I get it now. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:04 PM

Uhhh redundancy. I like fast I/O as much as the next guy, but it doesn't mean much if my filesystems corrupt themselves easily.

If your filesystems are slow then defragment them. If your I/O is slow then get a faster hard drive. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:59 PM

I'm wondering, BetaWar, why you think that memory size would be related to the time it takes to open a file. Are you assuming that what you're opening is going to be in cache?

Reliability is my primary concern. Security, then. And then performance.

Thing is, though, a file system is what it is. You're not going to change it, unless you write your own from scratch... which will take lots of time. At some point, if you want it to be faster, you'll need better hardware.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1