• (2 Pages)
  • +

21 Replies - 2144 Views - Last Post: 29 November 2009 - 04:16 AM

• I am a spoon
  • member icon

• View blog

GAAA. I hate High school

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:16 PM

I am bloody bored at highschool, and I have been looking into an accelerated highschool/college program. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or any schools that will accept a wanna-be engineer who is looking for a few more intellucts instead of these apathetic *censored*s?

(though maybe i should spend the next three years learning how to spell :P )

but GAAA!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: GAAA. I hate High school

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: GAAA. I hate High school

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:58 PM

high skool is for people who make threads complaining about high skool.

basically what i am saying is, you seem like you're in the right place.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:19 PM

Moved to the "Student Campus" forum. Unless you wanted to be ridiculed, that's probably the best place for it :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:56 PM

Overachieve?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:55 AM

ur high school should offer tons of AP classes if you think your so smart and better than everyone else. Take those and see how well you do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:10 AM

View Postbflosabre91, on 29 May, 2009 - 07:55 AM, said:

ur high school should offer tons of AP classes if you think your so smart and better than everyone else. Take those and see how well you do.

Some schools don't, but most have at least some kind of program letting you take courses at a local college. I highly recommend trying to get some prereqs out of the way before you hit college.

Or take some books to school and read.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:52 AM

Suffer!!!

Ok, not really. High school is a crucible of immature personalities and hormones. For individuals not interested in social politics, it's basically hell. Well, limbo at least.

Take heart, most the the people who feel high school was the best time of their lives are total losers later in life. Even competent adult I've ever respected does not recall the experience of high school fondly.

It's a necessary rite of passage, though. Enjoy. :evil:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I am a spoon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:22 PM

View Postbflosabre91, on 29 May, 2009 - 04:55 AM, said:

I don't think I'm better than everyone else. When did I say that?

The idea of going to college early is not unheard of. I go to a second school with several people who are graduating early. Also, my physical high school only offers one AP class and I am taking AP classes at my other high school. (And I have A's, thank you very much).

Though you are correct about my spelling. (I assume the ur was not you being lazy, but mocking me. I may be a little paranoid :P).

at baavgai: You are correct, high school is about maturity and a right of passage. I was really 'complainy' so that is no proof of maturity. However, I crave intellectual discussions, which none of my friends or classes offer at my physical high school.

Tom9729: exactly what i am working on. and I've read all books offered to me at home. We aren't spending any money on new books. And perhaps I overachieve a little, but if I don't, who will? :P

Sloth: Ur rite. high skool iz 4 people lik me who complane abote how horrid it iz. I guss ur rite. i shud stay. However, I wasn't trying to complain. The point was to see if anyone knows about any of those accelerated high school/college programs. I spend half my time at school sketching my engineering designs because the teachers, not all, only most, move too slowly.

So again I ask, hopefully without ridicule, if anyone has even heard of those programs?

(And anyone who is able: I made this out of frustration and would appreciate it if you change the title to something a little more suitable)

This post has been edited by hawkysu: 29 May 2009 - 01:26 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:12 PM

Finding "your people" in high school is difficult, if not impossible. You have far more options in college and more when out on your own.

When I was a junior in high school, I suddenly realized that my list of extra curricular activities was woefully nonexistent. Apparently, college admissions look at such fluff. And so...

I was on the chess team, president senior year; it don't get much more geeky than that, I know. However, I found some good friends there.

One of the stranger things I did was something called the Academic Decathlon. Some pretty intelligent conversations to be found there.

I would not do the college early thing. College is kind of a social group do over. If it's a big enough school, you'll meet types of people you've never run into before. Freshman year, everyone is out of their comfort zone and basically on the same footing. However, if you're the really young freshman, you've basically blown your chance to mingle as one of the crowd of unknowns and find people you click with.

Patience. You won't be trapped forever. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I am a spoon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:29 PM

I used to be able to do Academic Decathalon... *sigh* It was fun.

Thanks though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:33 PM

Have you looked at Keystone High School? It's an online HS where you can take up to 8 (I think) classes ranging from the cores (math, sci, english, history, world languages) and electives. There are about 10 APs including Stats, Calc AB, Bio, Chem, Physics B, US History and World History. I'll have ~8 APs by the time I leave HS, but during my senior year I'm gonna go to college part time (database for a year to get out of my school's database class, and either math, science general or cs). Look at that too. Even if you just do community college, rack up some general requirements (English, Psych, Calc, Labs).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I am a spoon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:30 AM

Thank you. I'll be sure to look into Keystone. I think I've heard the name before.... Don't they also have a physical school as well?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• May Your Swords Stay Sharp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2009 - 12:48 PM

When I was a junior in high school, I suddenly realized that my list of extra curricular activities was woefully nonexistent. Apparently, college admissions look at such fluff. And so...

They don't look at it so much, if you have a good GPA, and grades and such. The only Extracurricular Activity I had was working mostly every day after school. And I got excepted into the first school I applied to. Maybe I was just lucky or not, i don't know. But don't worry to much on extracurricular activities if you are getting good grades, and have stuff to do to not get board, such as working, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:06 PM

View Posthawkysu, on 30 May, 2009 - 10:30 AM, said:

Thank you. I'll be sure to look into Keystone. I think I've heard the name before.... Don't they also have a physical school as well?

Quite possibly. In truth, I neither know for sure or care. They're based out of Pennsylvania anyways, so it really doesn't affect me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2009 - 03:35 AM

View PostBigAnt, on 30 May, 2009 - 01:48 PM, said:

if you have a good GPA, and grades and such

GPA? Those are for people who did homework! If it wasn't for SATs I'd have probably been screwed for colleges. Just do really well on one silly test and you're in? It's a good thing I didn't realize that early on.

Then the college orientation is trying to let us down easy. "You used to be top of your high schools, but everyone here was, you have to work harder..." Um, top of my high school went to Yale, Harvard, Princeton, etc. I'm here because my parents aren't paying and I'm a slacker. And now I find some classes grade on a curve?

Honestly, college was far less of a challenge than high school. Certainly more fun. I got six credits for writing about science fiction! I'm sorry, speculative fiction. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +