I'm new to the world of programming

• (3 Pages)
  • +

36 Replies - 6657 Views - Last Post: 13 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

I'm new to the world of programming

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:45 AM

I need some help with deciding on which language to start off with. Please, dont advise a hard one, because, like i said, im new. Thanks!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: I'm new to the world of programming

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I'm new to the world of programming

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:15 AM

View PostDark_Necros, on 29 May, 2009 - 11:45 AM, said:

I need some help with deciding on which language to start off with. Please, dont advise a hard one, because, like i said, im new. Thanks!

Python or Ruby, in my opinion. Both are excellent languages.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:25 AM

View PostDark_Necros, on 29 May, 2009 - 09:45 AM, said:

I depends on what kind of programs you want to write.

Games, audio, graphics are usually written in C/C++. database is often C# or Visual Basic. there are always exceptions to those but that's a general guideline. I'd look at getting a book on general programming concepts and object oriented programming. C/C++/C# are good languages to start with. Java is decent too. VB is fine, but I'd go with C and it's derivatives.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• |>|20-514<|{3|2

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:53 AM

I agree with bigtonyk Java will throw you into classes and such and will force you to understand how they work, which is excellent to know anyways as classes are a common occurence in C++ and structs are quite common in C whereas I have seen plenty of things that resemble classes or structs in other languages.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:26 PM

Basic is the perfect language for you. I strongly advise it.

Stay away from C, C++ and Java for now.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• |>|20-514<|{3|2

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:35 PM

I strongly disagree with DanTheMan, I suggest learning C or C++ as it may be a slightly more difficult language, it teaches you structure and good programming practices while including many of the things other languages use. Remember that many languages are derived off the C/C++ platform.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:58 PM

View PostIngeniousHax, on 29 May, 2009 - 05:35 PM, said:

I strongly disagree with DanTheMan, I suggest learning C or C++ as it may be a slightly more difficult language, it teaches you structure and good programming practices while including many of the things other languages use. Remember that many languages are derived off the C/C++ platform.

Languages itself don't teach anything - they are tools. I've seen people write horrendous code in every language I know.

The reason not to study C\C++ - pointers. Everyday I see newbies asking a questions about their C code not working, because they have absolutely no idea how pointers, memory, and arrays work. And I don't blame them. That's a very tough topic that takes a long time to master. If you are new, stay away from it.

Why would the following code result in a segmentation error? I can bet you that not a single newbie will be able to figure it out. You need to have the understanding of the program structure and its memory layout in order to figure it out.

char* str = "Text";
str[0] = 'T';

The reason not to study Java - OOP. Having to think in terms of classes as a newcommer is very daunting. Having every variable act as a pointer doesn't help either.

What would you rather choose for beginner to code:

public class Test {
   public static void main(String[] args) {
	  System.out.println("Hello World");
   }
}

Or:

PRINT "Hello World"
END

And I'm not even talking about using Java for I/O. Ew.

This post has been edited by Dantheman: 29 May 2009 - 07:19 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:03 PM

View Postxclite, on 29 May, 2009 - 10:15 AM, said:

View PostDark_Necros, on 29 May, 2009 - 11:45 AM, said:

Python or Ruby, in my opinion. Both are excellent languages.

That's a good advice too.

This post has been edited by Dantheman: 29 May 2009 - 07:23 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• |>|20-514<|{3|2

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:28 PM

IN the above code, the C++ one, wouldn't it cause an error because of the fact, you are defining the variable as a char, yet trying to access it is as a string, or is it because you are not using a pointer to access the memory contained by str?

Touche, I do see your point adn you have swayed me.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:46 PM

View PostIngeniousHax, on 29 May, 2009 - 06:28 PM, said:

IN the above code, the C++ one, wouldn't it cause an error because of the fact, you are defining the variable as a char, yet trying to access it is as a string, or is it because you are not using a pointer to access the memory contained by str?

Touche, I do see your point adn you have swayed me.

This is what's happening in the above code:

The string "Text" is already known at the compile-time, so the compiler will create that string in the special part of your program's memory - read-only segment of the static memory. Such memory cannot be changed throughout your program's lifetime. And yet, I am trying to modify it. That's when the Operating System halts my program, because it's trying to do very naughty things.

The way around it is - create a string somewhere else. We can create such string on the stack by using a char array:

char str[] = "Text";
str[0] = 'T';

Or on the heap by using a pointer:

char *ptr = new char[5];
strcpy(ptr, "Text");
ptr[0] = 'T';

Yeah, this is not something that I would advise any beginner to fiddle around with, it will only frustrate them and in some cases might even discourage from programming. Glad I changed your mind :-)

This post has been edited by Dantheman: 29 May 2009 - 07:59 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:51 PM

I went the C, C++ and Java & C#route...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:32 PM

View PostDark_Necros, on 29 May, 2009 - 09:45 AM, said:

I think you should take a class in C.
Or read a good C book, and practice, and see if you like it! If its flowing really good, and your learning quite a bit, move on to C++

In college, I did take the squence of VB.net before i took CS classes. I do think that it made it easier to move on to C++.

If you do decide to try VB for awhile, it will teach you stuff that can be applied to C/C++

Personally, i have taken VB.net, a little C#, and C++, and C++ is more challenging and more rewarding to code.

Although, you could play aroudn with VB for awhile to get the hang of loops, functions, tests, etc...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:49 PM

Im new to the world of programming

I came here looking for a
Hello World!

: (
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:57 PM

I Strongly advise learning VB or VB.net, simply because it teaches the basics of programming and how to use variables, how to create functions and organize your code and why syntax is important with out the strictness of C++. vb/vb.net can be strict at times but when starting out is more lenient. It will help you understand the core data types and how you can use them in many diffrent ways. once you are comfertble (excuse the spelling) with vb/vb.net start migrating to C++, but start at the beginning of C++. they are two completly diffrent languages, but incorporate the same principles. you will learn how to do the same thing, just in a diffrent way. so why learn C++ after vb/vb.net, well because you can do so much more with C++. as said earlier, vb is used mostly for databases. I just finished using C++ to program a robot. C++ is also used for game programmig (example), and is also used in business programming. C++ is much more difficult and challenging, but is also much more powerfull. as we have all heard, "with more power comes more responsiblity." Start simple. Keep in mind that what ever you choose, you have support right here. I am willing to help, (I know C++ and VB.Net). But I started backwards. I learned C++ then VB.Net. C++ classes helped me understand VB.Net classes??? does that seem weird to anybody else besides me?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:39 AM

Thanks for all the advice, and is there any way for me to do a poll? and dan tha man, would your email be camoblur @ gmail . com?
Was This Post Helpful? -1
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +