I'm new to the world of programming

• (3 Pages)
  • +

36 Replies - 6403 Views - Last Post: 13 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: I'm new to the world of programming

Posted 24 April 2011 - 07:47 PM

For such a general comment, use VB or VBA please!
No thought for me.
Again, HTML is a web development language, not programming language
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:09 PM

HTML is not a programming language - neither web dev, nor programming. It is a markup language. You cannot define object behaviors and actions in HTML, but rather their appearance only.

For a multitude of opinions on this, you might want to check out this thread.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#33 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2011 - 10:27 AM

Quite honestly, I think a good starting point is good old Pascal.

Ugh, no. I don't think it's smart to waste time learning a language that teaches you old concepts and simply isn't used in the industry. You might find a place here and there that has a Pascal application, but they'll be few and far between.

I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't learn stuff that's not useful, when you could spend the same time learning something that teaches you the same thing, and yet will still be useful.

Just like you shouldn't start with Basic. Maybe VB.NET, but even that isn't the best idea, in my opinion, because it can encourage bad and sloppy practice.

Java is fairly standard. You'll find that most college CS course paths start with Java classes, though some start with C#. Either is a great place to start your education (though I'm more than willing to push C#, since it's what I use and love). Python is good and flexible.

The main question you have to ask yourself is: "What do I want to do with this." It's one thing to say "I know programming." But that doesn't mean anything if you don't know how to do anything practical, and that'll impact your language choices. Some languages are a "jack of all trades", like C#, that can be used for forms, console, service, web, web service, and web plugin applications. Some are great for scripting and programming, like Python. Some are very low level and give you a great insight in how programs really work, like C. Some are good at only one thing, but have a very fine niche there, like PHP.

Pick one and run with it, but make sure it lines up with what you want it to do.

HTML is not a language

Well, it is a language, just not a programming language. The "L" stands for language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:17 PM

Yes, sorry. Anyway, not HTML. 100x NO please no BASIC or Pascal both are obsolete; you will waste time. However, I must admin, learning Java without HTML is gonna be hard!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#35 Curtis Rutland  Icon User is online

• (╯□)╯︵ (~ .o.)~
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:52 PM

However, I must admin, learning Java without HTML is gonna be hard!

I don't see how. HTML has nothing to do with Java in and of itself. You can use Java to create JSP, which does have to do with HTML, but that's enterprise stuff.

HTML doesn't teach you anything about programming. Nothing. It's like learning Word. Important, maybe, but not instructive for programming. There's no logic behind HTML, it's just markup.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:56 PM

Please lock this thread. it was started over a year ago, if i remember correctly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

I heard that is ok to start off with python but I'm not sure. I think starting with c++ or java is a good thing but it depends on what you want do. I would not let something being heard get in the way you learning it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +