3 Replies - 853 Views - Last Post: 30 May 2009 - 03:37 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Need Advice, regarding game design & C++

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:18 PM

I've taken up programming over the summer. I've finish reading my first c++ book and I just finished creating my biggest project so far which was a c++ command line "black jack" game. I want to try creating a 2d game now, however I don't know where to go for information. From google i've found people saying use API, DirectX, or OpenGL. However thats a lot of choices, and i want to use the most general option. If you just finished learning c++, where would you go to learn the transition from dos to windows game design using c++? I'm looking for any tutorial links or information on where to begin the transition from programming command line apps, to windows based apps, more specifically simple 2d games to start. Or maybe even a windows based User Interface. I just need a point in the right direction. Thanks for any advice.

This post has been edited by Johnny5: 29 May 2009 - 01:20 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need Advice, regarding game design & C++

• |>|20-514<|{3|2

• View blog

Re: Need Advice, regarding game design & C++

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:29 PM

Try looking into DarkGDK, I imagine you were using a windows platform and Visual Studio. DarkGDK is a library that can be used with-in Visual Studio. There are probably more than enough tutorials and such on DarkGDK to get you up and running.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:27 PM

I would recommend SDL with C++ its cross-platform and also once you have learned enough to make 2d games and want to move to 3D it has OpenGL functions also.

Its win win :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2009 - 03:37 PM

View Poststayscrisp, on 30 May, 2009 - 12:27 PM, said:

I would recommend SDL with C++ its cross-platform and also once you have learned enough to make 2d games and want to move to 3D it has OpenGL functions also.

Its win win :)

Hi,
SDL seems to be a lot friendlier than Win32 and DirectX. I've seen a lot of C++ only programmers figure out how to use it relatively easily.

Another possibility that isn't so glamorous is using DOS Console mode for graphics. You can position the cursor, change the color, and design shapes. Here's a screenshot for a Tetris like game. The reason I played with console was so I could focus on 'more' important aspects such as game logic, game states, game play, etc. Granted, it's not a AAA level game shot but I didn't have to mess around too much with graphics. It was an enjoyable project.

Posted Image

Regards,
Chuck
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1