7 Replies - 1210 Views - Last Post: 31 May 2009 - 08:06 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Linux+ Certification

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:54 PM

I am presently a high school student. I am interested in the Linux+ certification. What is its significance in your educational career? If anyone of you has actually given the exam, can you please tell me if there are questions apart from MCQs? How many hours of study will it require within two weeks if I already have two years of Linux experience?

Moreover, do British/American universities consider this certification? (please try to provide an official source to this answer)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Linux+ Certification

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Linux+ Certification

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:23 AM

The Linux+ certification is directed towards those that are new / beginners towards Linux. The certification provides a prospective employee that you know the basics of Linux. They say that it's vendor specific, but you'll find that they concentrate on RedHat.

MCQ's are great, they're proven questions / answers, but they aren't definitive. Comptia (provider of the Linux+ certification) will take a certain question and reword it, or give a slight difference to make things interesting and to judge your problem solving capabilities. Or worse off, they will give a question where the answers are all wrong and expect the correct answer to be the least wrong.

Depending on your ability for knowledge retention, two weeks of an hour a day would be more than sufficient to pass this exam with flying colours, especially as you say you've had two years of Linux experience.

If you're looking at using this certification as a knowledge reference for a university, don't. You'd be better off spending your time and money on the RCE (RedHat Certified Engineer). It holds a lot more weight in the IT industry.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2009 - 03:34 AM

Quite depends on what you mean by "worth it."

From an employer's perspective, I'm far more impressed with experience than certs. Even if you're just out of school, you can have this with linux.

If you claim to be Linux certified, or just competent, I'm going to ask you the same questions. I want the guy who has a headless server at home, uses linux for their desktop, has tried several distros, has some fervent religious reason as to why their distro of choice is the best, etc. If they've done none of that but only have a crisp piece of paper, what do I think of the paper? If they've done all of that and more, and can prove to me they're not blowing smoke, I don't care about the paper.

I would agree with the RedHat cert if you want such a thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2009 - 03:02 PM

Indeed, certifications really mean nothing to employers. Experience is where it's at. The tests don't demonstrate practical ability, and don't have enough focus on troubleshooting and problem solving ability to indicate that an employee would be a valuable addition to a team.

I think that some certification courseware is useful for providing a structure to help you learn about a new technology, but it also depends on the specific courseware. The RHCE study guide for RH302, for example, is one of the worst technical books I've ever seen published. Some of the Microsoft SQL Server books and Cisco CNE books are good, but they're not too useful as references once you're done reading through the material. Microsoft seems very slow to update their MCSE material, lately.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2009 - 05:23 PM

View Postmikeblas, on 30 May, 2009 - 02:02 PM, said:

Indeed, certifications really mean nothing to employers. Experience is where

I don't agree, I work in a real estate office and the owner hired the last IT person based on her certifications....granted, she didn't last long and wasn't very good at her job, but her list of certifications was the reason she was hired. (IE...they can help get a foot in the door)

This post has been edited by Sue816: 30 May 2009 - 05:24 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2009 - 06:23 PM

View PostSue816, on 30 May, 2009 - 06:23 PM, said:

she didn't last long and wasn't very good at her job, but her list of certifications was the reason she was hired.

:rolleyes:

Right, caveat. Some places that don't know what they're doing will only go by the resume. In which case, the resume fluff can get you in the door. Said places will often have unreasonable expectations of what those certifications actually mean. Everyone looses.

The advice given assumes a somewhat competent IT department and not a rubber stamp HR department.

This post has been edited by baavgai: 30 May 2009 - 06:23 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2009 - 06:26 PM

I don't have any certifications, & I've never been told I didn't get the job because I didn't have any. However I've given talks at local Linux user group meetings, & that did give me kudos for both showing an interest outside of work in work related activities as well as public speaking & giving a presentation to an audience, again outside of work.

So it always depends on the employers, as well as whos giving the interview & doing the hiring.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 May 2009 - 08:06 AM

View PostSue816, on 30 May, 2009 - 04:23 PM, said:

I don't agree, I work in a real estate office and the owner hired the last IT person based on her certifications....granted, she didn't last long and wasn't very good at her job, but her list of certifications was the reason she was hired. (IE...they can help get a foot in the door)
Has that employer learned their lesson, or do they still prefer to see certifications rather than actual experience?

I think that reliance on certifications is particularly likely in the situation you describe; where a technical talent is needed, but is not the core job function and nobody at the job site is very well-versed in knows anything about how to interview for that specific job function. It is perhaps this situation that certifications were meant to address, but I think your story demonstrates the way that they end up failing.

Certainly, you can find exceptions; all generalizations are bad. But I stand by my point that a certification shows nothing meaningful to the employer, and the employer still has to insist on meaningful work experience and skills testing for all but the most junior positions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1