Learning C++/C What to do

Which would be good to learn next to it.

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 1079 Views - Last Post: 05 June 2009 - 01:51 AM

• |>|20-514<|{3|2

• View blog

Learning C++/C What to do

Posted 30 May 2009 - 05:31 PM

I am currently undergoing C/C++ but I was wondering what language I get start learning that would go well with C/C++ development. Should I learn C#, Java, CSS, Ruby, Python...I mean there are so many languages, I hav no idea what I could learn in conjunction with C/C++...
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Learning C++/C What to do

• GAME OVER. NERD WINS.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Learning C++/C What to do

Posted 30 May 2009 - 06:16 PM

It depends on what job field you want to go into. C# and Java are similar to C++ in that they are OO stongly typed languages. CSS, HTML, and javascript are used to make webpages and are very different. Python, Ruby, and other languages are a bit different but the skills from C++ will transfer over.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2009 - 06:22 PM

Assembler.

But as Dan pointed out in a previous post, depends on if you want to go high-level or low-level. I usually suggest at least giving assembler a try, so you have a better feel for what's happening behind the scenes of your C/C++, but if high-level is really where you are heading, thinking in the past might be the wrong direction. Either way, I don't think it would hurt.

Also, I'm under the impression that you are working on a Linux system. Do you want to keep your learning strictly with Linux?

You are still early in the stages of picking up C/C++, & your aiming for more of the security & networking topics, & haven't really concentrated on core C/C++ fundamentals, from what I've seen. That's not to say you have topics that I didn't read.

If I am correct with the above statement, then I think branching out at this point would be dangerous to what you've already learned in C/C++.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• |>|20-514<|{3|2

• View blog

Posted 30 May 2009 - 06:40 PM

Alright, yeah im looking to go more towards a security field, it just seems like a career that would keep me interested for a long time.

But yeah, I do plan on keeping up with C++ as I am currently enrolled next semester for intermediate C++ and will be reading books and coding here and there to learn more, hopefully by the end of the summer I will have read and thoroughly understood my programming book from this semester as there are many topics in there that are still untouched such as STL and some algorithms and I believe it touches a little on data structures along with BST's and such.

But yes No2Pencil, you are correct in the fact that I would like to continue working with linux, I was thinking about taking an online Linux course as a 5th class next semester, however IDK if I will be able to do such as I am retaking( >.< ) calculus, taking physics, history and intermediate C++ and don't wanna overload myself and burn out too quickly.

I was thinking of getting a beginner assembly book, or maybe a shell scripting book. But I think it would be better to go to assembly as I would ahve to take that in about 2 semesters and I couldget a slight head start on that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2009 - 01:51 AM

By what you said, shell and security...hmm. Something screams PHP right now lol. And yes, Assembly is boss boss boss. But its more towards robotics than software. If you never tried a hand at PHP then I'm not sure how to describe it. Its hard to stop smiling when you're starting out. Don't think of it as a web language, its probably just as muscular as any offline compiler and loads cleaner. Gives you an intimate affair with global variables and the security experience you want. Plus, its easy to pick up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1