• +

18 Replies - 1775 Views - Last Post: 08 June 2009 - 01:39 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Google Wave

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:06 PM

http://wave.google.com

What do you guys think about Wave?

It sounds like a really amazing idea (I swear, just last month I was thinking about how inefficient email is and that conversations needed to be centralized... damn you google!).

Another cool thing is how they've made it into a protocol - really following the ideals of the web. I wonder if this will kick-start a push fore standardization in other areas. Imagine having a protocol which would allow interlinking of social networking sites - then facebook could interoperate with linked in, and companies could host their own systems which could also talk to facebook etc.

And yet another leap forwards is that the interface they demoed was done entirely in HTML5 and ran in pure web browsers - not implemented on some proprietary browser plugin.

So much cool stuff.. thoughts?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Google Wave

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Google Wave

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:10 PM

thanks for the update :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:17 PM

I watched the developer preview of Wave the other day and was blown away. A coworker of mine attended the conference and filled me in. This is going to be huge. I requested sandbox access to see if I could somehow integrate this with JIRA which is our issue tracking tool for us developers. How awesome would it be to instantly converse on issues and even tie SubVersion source control into it. This would streamline many of our processes to date.

This post has been edited by t2kocurek: 02 June 2009 - 10:17 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:27 PM

What i've heard: It's gonna be open-source.. Developpers go do some tricks and make it even more awesome :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Perl Parson
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:49 AM

Never heard of it until just now. What's the short version of why it's so OMGRevolutionizeTheWorldBBQ!!1!!!111 for those of us who are unimpressed by the "take a sneak peek" link and don't have an hour and a half to spend watching the developer preview video?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:10 PM

Not sure... I was pretty unimpressed until I watched the video and thought over the possibilities.

In short it aims to replace email...

What they have actually done is not too impressive, it's basically like a forum on steroids. It's where they want to take it and how they are doing it that's cool (open source, making it a specification).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:48 PM

This is gonna be bigger than Facebook, Myspace and Twitter put together!

Cannot wait!

If you feel unimpressed i recommend you watch the full demo, and be blown away.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2009 - 01:07 AM

Lucky we all have 1.5 hours to watch it ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Perl Parson
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:38 AM

View Postc0mrade, on 3 Jun, 2009 - 07:10 PM, said:

Not sure... I was pretty unimpressed until I watched the video and thought over the possibilities.

In short it aims to replace email...

Really? So how is email lacking and how does this improve on it?

View Postc0mrade, on 3 Jun, 2009 - 07:10 PM, said:

What they have actually done is not too impressive, it's basically like a forum on steroids. It's where they want to take it and how they are doing it that's cool (open source, making it a specification).

It's going to replace email... because it's based on an open spec... just like email?

View PostJonBernal, on 4 Jun, 2009 - 06:48 AM, said:

If you feel unimpressed i recommend you watch the full demo, and be blown away.

If the greatness cannot be put into words, then it is most likely just smoke and mirrors. (See also: "Elevator Speech".)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:12 AM

If the greatness cannot be put into words, then it is most likely just smoke and mirrors. (See also: "Elevator Speech".)

Oh it can be put into words, but just like you can't find the time to watch a video I cannot spare the time to spoon feed the benefits of a new technology to a stranger on the internet.

The reason the spec/open source thing is cool is because they are really aiming to create the next email - and email has been around for ages.

If you've ever worked at a company of any size you will know the shortcomings of email. Lets say your working with a team of people on a new project. You will send tons and tons of emails to all kinds of different people, customers, teammates, area experts, etc. They all reply in separate emails with your message copied below. Hopefully they hit "reply to all" and the others you copied in get the message. If they didn't, then you have to forward the message around. Then, someone joins the team. To get them up to date, everyone forwards all the emails they have to the new member in a huge mess with duplicate information etc. And then there's working on documents collaboratively... documents of different versions are emailed around, not everyone gets every version, etc.

Just watch the video...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:53 AM

View Postc0mrade, on 4 Jun, 2009 - 06:12 AM, said:

Oh it can be put into words, but just like you can't find the time to watch a video I cannot spare the time to spoon feed the benefits of a new technology to a stranger on the internet.

The reason the spec/open source thing is cool is because they are really aiming to create the next email - and email has been around for ages.

If you've ever worked at a company of any size you will know the shortcomings of email. Lets say your working with a team of people on a new project. You will send tons and tons of emails to all kinds of different people, customers, teammates, area experts, etc. They all reply in separate emails with your message copied below. Hopefully they hit "reply to all" and the others you copied in get the message. If they didn't, then you have to forward the message around. Then, someone joins the team. To get them up to date, everyone forwards all the emails they have to the new member in a huge mess with duplicate information etc. And then there's working on documents collaboratively... documents of different versions are emailed around, not everyone gets every version, etc.

Just watch the video...

Exactly!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Perl Parson
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:06 AM

View Postc0mrade, on 4 Jun, 2009 - 02:12 PM, said:

If I posted here saying, "Go see this movie - it's the best one ever made!", would your first reaction be to watch the movie or to ask why it's so good? Perhaps considering that will show you why I am reluctant to spend an hour and a half to buy what you're selling when you won't even spend five minutes to attempt the sale.

But, yes, I dug up some articles about Wave to see what people who are willing to talk about it beyond "It's cool!" had to say. It looks like a nice collaboration tool. Maybe even a replacement for IM systems and/or wikis. Email, though? I doubt it.

Some of the best articles I turned up were:
http://www.readwrite...nvent_email.php
http://mashable.com/...28/google-wave/
http://mashable.com/...gle-wave-guide/

There were a number of recurring themes about privacy concerns, particularly in relation to the "I see every keystroke as you type it, then watch you make corrections" aspect. While this can be turned off, the fact that it defaults to being on can be taken as indicating a lack of concern over privacy.

I haven't seen a clear explanation of how the wave spellchecker will work, but the implications of what I've read seem to be that it will incorporate Markov-like techniques, presumably based on the corpus of text indexed by Google, including the contents of other waves. If this is the case, the potential for information leakage - even to/from completely unknown third parties - pretty much rules out its use in anything resembling a secure environment.

I'm personally somewhat troubled by the ability to directly edit other users' contributions - email is often used as a definitive record of who said what and when, which kind of falls apart when I can put words into your mouth. I recognize that the "playback" functionality mitigates this by providing the ability to "rewind" the conversation and see its state at any point in time, but there are many use cases in which it's more important to immediately see everything as it initially was, not how it ended up after the most recent edit, or to see the original and edited versions side-by-side. The general tendency of many to just accept what they read without performing even the most cursory check of its authenticity ("Good Times" virus, anyone?) also leaves me skeptical as to how often people will make the effort of rewinding to see what a person's original words actually were before proceeding to judge the speaker based on what they see in the current version of the wave.

Editability also has the potential to interact badly with bots. One of the possible bots mentioned in one of the mashable articles is a bot which automatically changes "cat" to "dog" in whatever anyone says. Aside from the (IMO completely unacceptable) intent that such a bot would alter my words within seconds of my typing them - potentially even before any other human participant reads them - imagine if that bot shared a wave with a spelling corrector bot. I say "cataclysm", which gets changed to "dogaclysm", which gets changed to "cataclysm", which gets changed... (Yes, the bot could easily be made smart enough to ignore "cat" when contained within another word. Shall we use "cat-o-nine-tails" or "cat and mouse" as the example instead? Note that wave's spellcheck is supposed to be smart enough to identify misplaced words, to there's a good chance that it will recognize "dog and mouse" as incorrect.)

Another common use case for email is mailing lists. I personally have run a mailing list of about 350 users and am a subscriber to several lists which are much, much larger. How usable will a wave be when there are dozens or hundreds of people participating in it concurrently? And why are all the example screenshots of IM-sized messages - a one or two sentence statement with a one-sentence question about that statement followed by a one-sentence answer - rather than larger bodies of text? Will the wave model scale adequately to multi-thousand word documents? How will the "playback" feature cope with having one person editing the beginning of such a large document while someone else is simultaneously editing the end, making it (at best) difficult to display both sets of changes on-screen as they happen?

Finally, the ability to insert your edits anywhere within the existing text

as shown in one of the currently-circulating scrrenshots

It's the one

about Luna Park
seems likely to make things rather difficult to read.

Unless people make an effort to do so only at logical breaks,

but the existing publicity screenshots already appear to be discouraging that
of course.

Wave does look interesting, but it's a new thing, not a replacement for email. They've done a good job of combining conversations and documents, but not every conversation is a document and not every document is a conversation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:12 AM

Well put indeed. Wave does look very interesting, and I see that is has a great potential. I'll be interested to watch it grow and adapt.

that being said, when I see statements like

This is gonna be bigger than Facebook, Myspace and Twitter put together!

I usually put a bookmark on the thread and schedule a task to respond 1 year later :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:48 AM

Well, I have a new idea for how forums should be set up :P lol

That is freaking amazing, I am only about 20 minutes in, but the image upload and realtime talking is awesome!

Will reply with more once I have finished the video.

<edit>
OMG! live multi-person edit!!!!
</edit>
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:52 AM

I watched it today and I was gonna post a thing like this but found this ITS SO COOL!!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +