6 Replies - 1500 Views - Last Post: 26 June 2009 - 02:29 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How long is it going to take?

Post icon  Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:22 AM

Hi

I have never done progamming before. This is all new to me. In my current role as an implementation consultant i do a little bit of SQL querying but not hugely.

Then i decided at the beginning of the year i wanted to learn programming seriously. So i did a 5 day microsoft intro course in vb.net (as thats what our new software is being upgraded to) but i found it was so full of gaps and was confused as hell. i then bought Simply Visual Basic 2008 and how to program visual basic 2008. It all makes alot more sense now and am really enjoying it. It does take a while to complete the excercises though especially for a newbie like me and considering its my first language ever.

I want to eventually get my mcts in asp.net and my mcts in SQL 2008.. Now my question is how long will it be before i am able to do this, ie be fluent in VB so i can sit my exams. My goal was to write these 4 exams by the end of this year but since i am doing it self study and making sure i do not miss the excercises in the book its taking me a lot longer than i thought. Am i being unrealistic with my goal? As all our developers are in Australia i dont have anyone to help me if i get stuck, and thank god i found this website, its brilliant!!

Any feedback would be much appreciated as my brain already feels exhausted trying to learn as much as i can as fast as i can..

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: How long is it going to take?

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How long is it going to take?

Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:29 AM

To tell the truth, each person is different when it comes to learning programming. Some people go through a 3-4 year college/university program and still are not masters of their craft and can pass the certification exams. The more time you put in and the more programs you try to write will accelerate your learning. Practice makes perfect after all.

The best advice I can offer is:

1. Try a program --> 2. Try a more advanced program --> Repeat step 2
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:05 PM

Learning programming languages has absolutely nothing to do with programming. Languages are simple tools, nothing more. You can learn to swing a hammer up and down, anybody can. But can you build a house with it? The same exact analogy applies to programming, You may learn 10 different languages, but you won't be able to solve any real problems with them.

Learn a syntax of a simple language, like Basic, or Pascal, or Python, or Ruby. Then you can start learning programming itself.

The best start to learn programming, in my opinion, is to learn:

1. Discrete Math.
2. Data Structures.
3. Algorithms.
4. Database Design.

Programs are basically collections of data structures and algorithms, so learning those is the most crucial step. Discrete Math will provide with some problem-solving abilities, along with foundation to understand and analyze the algorithms. Databases are pretty self-explanatory.

This post has been edited by Dantheman: 04 June 2009 - 03:07 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2009 - 03:30 PM

Thanks heaps for this.

Are you able to recommend some really good books/resources in each of these areas? if you could or if anyone could that would be great.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:05 PM

Discrete Math , Algorithms, Database Design.

If you happen to choose Java, this is a good book about data structures - Data Structures with Java.

This post has been edited by Dantheman: 04 June 2009 - 04:07 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:59 PM

View Postroheeni, on 4 Jun, 2009 - 09:30 PM, said:

Thanks heaps for this.

Are you able to recommend some really good books/resources in each of these areas? if you could or if anyone could that would be great.

If you go to www.idealprogrammer.com & www.functionx.com you will find some excellent material...and you will also find some excellent videos @ www.msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/beginner/bb308794.aspx. When you've consumed all the material on these sites, try taking a look at www.asp.net/Learn/videos/default.aspx? this site deals with all-things asp.
May the road ever rise to meet you!!! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:29 AM

Wow, you guys are just great, those books and the websites are excellent. thank you sooo much.. i will definitley start using these these resources. The training videos on these site are an amazing resource. i would have never found these.

Boy am i glad to be a part of this forum. You guys have helped me heaps already. So much for thinking i had no support!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1