• (2 Pages)
  • +

23 Replies - 3600 Views - Last Post: 11 June 2009 - 11:16 AM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Do You Seem to like the "unpopular" stuff

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:06 AM

When dealing with "higher level" work in programming, do you find yourself using much different tools than everyone else?

I certainly do!

For text editing (even most programming) I use GNU Nano, but even in linux circles nano gets very little use compared to vim or emacs.

For programming most people start with an interpretted language, such as python, but most do not go beyond the basics of that language. Meanwhile I have been using Python for the past 6 months, and I want to be able to write anything with python.

For my personal OS I use Arch Linux for everything, while most use Gentoo, Slack, Debian, or Windows.

I also enjoy "reinventing the wheel" sort of work, while most would rather try to use what's already availible.

Opinions? Personal Oddities?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Do You Seem to like the "unpopular" stuff

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Do You Seem to like the "unpopular" stuff

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:47 PM

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Dantheman: 04 June 2009 - 03:44 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2009 - 10:49 AM

View Postcode_m, on 4 Jun, 2009 - 09:06 AM, said:

When dealing with "higher level" work in programming, do you find yourself using much different tools than everyone else?

I certainly do!

For text editing (even most programming) I use GNU Nano, but even in linux circles nano gets very little use compared to vim or emacs.

For programming most people start with an interpretted language, such as python, but most do not go beyond the basics of that language. Meanwhile I have been using Python for the past 6 months, and I want to be able to write anything with python.

For my personal OS I use Arch Linux for everything, while most use Gentoo, Slack, Debian, or Windows.

I also enjoy "reinventing the wheel" sort of work, while most would rather try to use what's already availible.

Opinions? Personal Oddities?

I use a myriad of functional programming languages, and no object oriented, or mainstream languages.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:31 PM

View PostDantheman, on 4 Jun, 2009 - 03:47 PM, said:

Posted Image

WIN. :^: :)

And on-topic...I don't really use anything out of the ordinary...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:34 PM

View Postcode_m, on 4 Jun, 2009 - 11:06 AM, said:

Name 3 people that use Slackware

Almost everyone uses Ubuntu. According to the Do you use Linux poll for every one person that uses Ubuntu, someone uses "something else". It is my understanding that Ubuntu is by far the most used Linux distro.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:55 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 6 Jun, 2009 - 08:34 PM, said:

Almost everyone uses Ubuntu. According to the Do you use Linux poll for every one person that uses Ubuntu, someone uses "something else". It is my understanding that Ubuntu is by far the most used Linux distro.

I use Ubuntu. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:14 AM

Well maybe it's just the crowds I hang out with, but I have always found Ubuntu rather unfriendly after the initial install. I hang out on mostly on irc.freenode.net/#linuxcranks and find that less 2% of them use Ubuntu, less than 5% Arch, 40% Debian, 40% Slack or Gentoo, 13% Fedora....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:04 AM

View Postcode_m, on 8 Jun, 2009 - 08:14 AM, said:

Well maybe it's just the crowds I hang out with, but I have always found Ubuntu rather unfriendly after the initial install. I hang out on mostly on irc.freenode.net/#linuxcranks and find that less 2% of them use Ubuntu, less than 5% Arch, 40% Debian, 40% Slack or Gentoo, 13% Fedora....

As it turns out, everyone else finds Ubuntu very friendly after the initial install. The guys in #linuxcranks are likely more "experienced" Linux users, and find Ubuntu too simple. Most people like simple. I use Ubuntu. I like simple.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:25 PM

I have Ubuntu on my second partition, just because it was the one I chose at the time. I have slackware on three live CD's, a flash drive, and (I used to have it on) a bootable portable hard drive.

This post has been edited by chris772: 08 June 2009 - 03:26 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo apt-get install brain
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:48 PM

I like ketchup on biscuits (plain of coarse) :P I never eat it with anyone around though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:29 PM

I used to like the unpopular stuff, then it became popular. :P Story of my life...

Ubuntu is a good example. I played with it when it first came out. The Ubuntu project wanted some code for the Windows bootstrap and a project I was working on already had one written. We'd never heard of the distro, but that's hardly unusual in Linux land. Kind of cool that it actually took off.

There was a time when I tried everything out there. I use Ubuntu for the simple reason that I'm lazy. Compiling all your own packages looses it's charm after a while. Particularly if dependencies start to fight. If I wasn't using Ubuntu, it would probably be Arch. Arch is excellent, if you know what you're doing. Reminds me of Slackware, with more toys.

When not letting Gnome do all the work, I like OpenBox; don't really know how many people use it. I wrote a number of clever scripts for it. I've considered making an independent dynamic menu widget for Gtk.

My preferred editor is Scite. Not trying to be different, it just has the features I want.

Perhaps these things will be popular some day, perhaps not. I liked computers when they were arcane to the general populace, now little old ladies ask me about their spam filters. It's kind of like when your favorite band that no one has ever heard of gets a radio hit. It's both happy and sad.

Edit: Oh, and I really really like pie menus. I wish they'd take off. So far, no luck.

This post has been edited by baavgai: 08 June 2009 - 04:32 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• CTO
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:39 PM

View PostDantheman, on 4 Jun, 2009 - 02:47 PM, said:

Posted Image

LOL. Nailed it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:51 PM

hhmmm... pie menus? Think that could be neat...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:15 PM

View Postcode_m, on 8 Jun, 2009 - 10:14 AM, said:

Well maybe it's just the crowds I hang out with
I hang out on mostly on irc.freenode.net/#linuxcranks and find....

I was talking more like in Real life situations. I should have specified. At the local Linux user groups & even Ohio Linux Fest, most folks (& I mean most) are using Ubuntu. Then you've got the Fedora & Gentoo users. Almost everyone stays away from Slackware. Then there was the time I showed up with FreeBSD... lol. I wasn't trying to defend myself, but yes I did show up to a Linux user group with FreeBSD.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:26 PM

View Postbaavgai, on 8 Jun, 2009 - 03:29 PM, said:

I used to like the unpopular stuff, then it became popular. :P Story of my life...

Ubuntu is a good example. I played with it when it first came out. The Ubuntu project wanted some code for the Windows bootstrap and a project I was working on already had one written. We'd never heard of the distro, but that's hardly unusual in Linux land. Kind of cool that it actually took off.

There was a time when I tried everything out there. I use Ubuntu for the simple reason that I'm lazy. Compiling all your own packages looses it's charm after a while. Particularly if dependencies start to fight. If I wasn't using Ubuntu, it would probably be Arch. Arch is excellent, if you know what you're doing. Reminds me of Slackware, with more toys.

When not letting Gnome do all the work, I like OpenBox; don't really know how many people use it. I wrote a number of clever scripts for it. I've considered making an independent dynamic menu widget for Gtk.

My preferred editor is Scite. Not trying to be different, it just has the features I want.

Perhaps these things will be popular some day, perhaps not. I liked computers when they were arcane to the general populace, now little old ladies ask me about their spam filters. It's kind of like when your favorite band that no one has ever heard of gets a radio hit. It's both happy and sad.

Edit: Oh, and I really really like pie menus. I wish they'd take off. So far, no luck.

Oh oh, that reminds me. I refuse to use Linux without XMonad. I love tiling Window Managers. That's not popular right?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +