• (2 Pages)
  • +

21 Replies - 1189 Views - Last Post: 10 June 2009 - 01:19 PM

• Expert Schmexpert...
  • member icon

• View blog

Cheaters and freedloaders

Posted 06 June 2009 - 05:53 AM

I'm a bit pissed at the moment. Been working on a project in a group, a pretty good group, we had fun and mostly got things running pretty smoothly, if there wasn't for this one guy.
This guy never took any initiative, never contributed even when asked to do stuff and in the end tried to get accredited for work he didn't do.

Have you ever done a project with someone who didn't contribute? (I'm sure you have so please share)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Cheaters and freedloaders

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Cheaters and freedloaders

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:31 AM

Yes, and it is quite frustrating and annoying. In my third year course on object-oriented analysis and design, there was one person who didn't contribute at all. Since he was technically part of the assigned group we had to put his name into the finished project. I don't feel he deserved the A+ that the rest of us received on the project. :angry:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:51 AM

There was once this friend of a friend. Great face man. Nicest guy you'd want to meet, smooth, good looking, born politician. He was actually, somewhat distantly, related to the Kennedy family. We'll call him Robert.

Robert's problem was he liked to buy things and didn't like to work. His solution was floating credit cards on top of credit cards, writing bad checks, general identity theft, and the occasional sugar daddy. He was strangely sociopathic and didn't really see what harm he did to himself or others. His friend was one of my roommates, who he used mercilessly and slept with on occasion. Luckily, in addition of being morally corrupt, he was also legally corrupt. When the cops eventually came looking for him, for more societal trespasses than we even knew about, we had little problem helping the authorities find the lying bugger.

Robert is an extreme example. Even today, many years later, when my wife and I run into a questionable character, all we have to say is "he's a Robert" and the meaning is clear.

On the more common side, I've run into many people all to willing too take credit for efforts to which they put no effort. I recently ran into a kid at our local trade school who manages to get everyone to do everything for him, then passes it off as his own. As you can imagine, he burns through people like a chain smoker burns through matches.

The sad thing is he's reasonably bright. I believe he's so afraid of making mistakes that he uses those more accomplished to spare him difficultly of learning. As a result, he's really only learned how to use people. Everyone develops ways of dealing with their problems, this particular MO is so reprehensible it's hard not to be pissed off, but also disappointed in what could have been.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2009 - 06:52 AM

well i just finished up a Haskell project for my concepts of programming languages course and there was this guy who was nagging me to send him code so he could submit it as his own work.. also i was working in a group of 3...i did ALL the work and one of my group members would send some snippets of the hard stuff in the project to his girlfriend..it really pisses me off that i work my ass off on a code and then someone else have it given to them on a plate of gold
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:10 AM

I did my groups whole final engineering project. They helped very little. I bought almost everything, i did all the wiring, and did most of the presentation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:23 AM

By nature, I rarely take initiative. I will do whatever I'm asked to do, but only when I'm asked to do it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:36 AM

This is the story of my life. I do everything and everyone rides for free. Well, I had gotten tired of it and one day in high school I had a guy who was freeloading off my work and I asked him to write two paragraphs of the report. A very minor minor piece of the whole thing. He said sure and when it came time to collect, he hadn't even started.

I finished the project, left his name off and he was cut from the project. The teacher gave him a zero and it made him ineligible to play basketball (his life's passion). He never did speak to me again but it was his fault.

Be nice, but don't be a sucker. Always keep in mind that by you doing all the work, you are learning everything. You have to assume some time later in life you will be rewarded over that person. As I always say "The more you learn the smarter you will be over everyone else"

Don't be afraid to cut the dead weight on a project. Do it early when you recognize there will be a problem. Approach a teacher or boss and let them know someone is not pulling their weight. If you can get the rest of your team to also make the same comment, most likely that slacker will be dealt with.

:snap:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:40 AM

i agree with Martyr but sometimes its hard to cut the dead weight off when that weight is your friend..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:55 AM

View Postmostyfriedman, on 6 Jun, 2009 - 09:40 AM, said:

i agree with Martyr but sometimes its hard to cut the dead weight off when that weight is your friend..

Then how good a friend are they? If they're taking advantage of you, and discussing it with them does not yield favorable results, perhaps the friendship should be reevaluated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2009 - 09:04 AM

I agree with xclite. A friend is not going to stand in your way of helping you learn and move forward in life. Just as you wouldn't do it to your friend if you were a good friend to them.

:)

p.s. Also if you explain to them it isn't to be personal but it is something you just have to do given the circumstances. If they are worth being a friend they would also realize that they kinda brought it on themselves by not doing anything. Even if they are pissed at first.

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 06 June 2009 - 09:05 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2009 - 09:46 AM

Oh god, this other kid at work. He didn't do shit and got pissed at me for making him look bad. I was even slacking off a lot and surfing the internet and playing games on my phone but damn, I can only imagine how much this kid was doing it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:03 AM

At work when I worked at Bob Evans I cleaned more than anyone and all my stuff was shiny and organized, but I never got employee of the month because I got out of there a little later than everyone else.... because I was putting effort into it. Another dishtanker, whom I know to leave food caked in the pans and globs of gravy in the cambros and puts them away like that got employee of the month 2 times because he gets out of there in 30 mins. I wonder why. Also, he leaves food and grease in the sinks, hidden bus tubs of dishes, doesn't break the dishtank down, the dining room was crappily vacuumed, and the bathrooms looked like shit. :\ Mine always are perfect. I see where the managers priorities lie.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:24 AM

That type of thing happens all the time. I once had to create a hypercube (4d object) model on my own (because my group was to lazy to do any work) so I used Java, and created an applet which allowed for rotation.

There has been a ton of things like that, physics labs, etc. It is just a fact of life, those who care get taken advantage of.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code T(h)inkers
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2009 - 11:07 AM

What about when you got to be the dead weight? In my System Engineering exercise, we were divided into groups of 10 people, 9 Japanese, me the only one foreigner. We had to create a system to counter the social problem in Japan. I had just arrived here here 2 months ago, I haven't got clear idea on the social problem here. I want to contribute idea, but almost all of it were off since the difference in culture, religion and the way the society works.

Heck I can't even help typing for them, they are much fluent in kanji. I feel bad. :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:32 PM

View Postxclite, on 6 Jun, 2009 - 09:55 AM, said:

View Postmostyfriedman, on 6 Jun, 2009 - 09:40 AM, said:

Then how good a friend are they?

While I agree with this, friends do come in a flavors. There's also a considerable difference between dead weight and outright leech. People have different aptitudes. Sometimes you carry your friend, sometimes they carry you. It's only an issue when you're always doing all the work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +