Code Snippet Disapproval

Page 1 of 1

7 Replies - 722 Views - Last Post: 09 June 2009 - 07:51 PM

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Code Snippet Disapproval

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:51 AM

Okay... 2 of my recent submitted snippets have been disapproved because I've posted them elsewhere and may not be mine.

I posted 1 snippet, #3694, under the name muppetalert on a different site... A simple WHOIS on muppetalert.com (which is referred to in the post) would have shown that I am the same person, also the fact that the code shows (on both sites/snippets) that it's written by Rudi Visser + Mage UK Limited, as shown in my signature.

Snippet #3968 was disapproved because I posted it on VBForums? So we can't have the same snippets on 2 sites...? Or are you trying to say that RudiVisser is not me........

Regardless, I can't edit + resubmit my snippets because it simply says that they have not been approved yet so the change won't go through, and it stays in the "Deleted" state...

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Code Snippet Disapproval

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Code Snippet Disapproval

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:12 PM

@MageUK: When we test and check code snippets the first thing we check for is to see if it is taken from another site. I'm the one who disapproved your first snippet, I had to make sure you were the original author (it's easy to create a username and say you are them, you have to understand that) since I found it in at least one other site.

It's our job at Moderators (and Admin's) to ensure that all submissions are original and aren't taken from some where else and submitted by a different person other than the original author. When I denied your snippet I explained all this to you in the message, and you replied with almost exactly what you posted here, so you know why the one was denied.

You just have to understand our position here, it's easy to find code on the internet, and even easier to grab someone's snippet and submit it on different sites saying that you originally wrote it (and it's nearly impossible to prove one way or another) so I was just protecting the reputation of Dream.In.Code when I denied your snippet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:15 PM

Sure I understand that, it's just the second one that confused me the most, and was wondering why I didn't have a reply from you (nor was it subsequently accepted)... I didn't know what to do at that point, try to resumbit, PM you again, post, etc.

Thanks for your reply anyway! I haven't replied to Core who disapproved my other snippet but I guess he'll hopefully see this thread.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GAME OVER. NERD WINS.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2009 - 02:31 PM

This is unfortunate that we can't post the same snippet on multiple sites, but I completely understand the dilema: There's have no way to tell if it was actually us who posted the snippet on both sites. I can't really think of a way to resolve this as we'd need a way to prove that we were the same person on both sites.

Question: Can I take the snippet off of the other site and then resubmit it to Dreamincode? :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:12 PM

View Postcrazyjugglerdrummer, on 8 Jun, 2009 - 03:31 PM, said:

This is unfortunate that we can't post the same snippet on multiple sites, but I completely understand the dilema: There's have no way to tell if it was actually us who posted the snippet on both sites. I can't really think of a way to resolve this as we'd need a way to prove that we were the same person on both sites.

Question: Can I take the snippet off of the other site and then resubmit it to Dreamincode? :D

Depending on where you submit it, put a reference in the original submission stating your account name on DreamInCode?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:24 PM

Yeah I already did that when I used to cross-post my code across a few other sites but it was a bit of a pain :)

Granted this post wasn't to complain about how to verify.. I just wondered why common logic wasn't applied :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:50 PM

Granted this post wasn't to complain about how to verify.. I just wondered why common logic wasn't applied

Indeed, common logic was applied. PsychoCoder explained you why the snippets are disapproved - when surfing the net it is very easy to spuff someone's name and then republish something (it can be any content, not necessarily code). This is why we have to make sure that the content submited on Dream.In.Code is not plagiarized.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:51 PM

It is unfortunate that we don't have a terribly standardized way to determine your history with snippets. Each snippet you submit might be checked by a new moderator and each of us may in turn deny the snippet for existing upon another site each blissfully unaware that you have explained to another mod that you are the original author.

So while you CAN have snippets on multiple sites... it might be a little difficult getting them approved. (even if you remove it from the other site since it may exist in caches for the search engines).

I just wondered why common logic wasn't applied

What "common logic" would you suggest? We get tons of submissions each month and we are only volunteers -- are we supposed to go out and research the snippet and compile a bio and bibliography of code snippets on the net for each author so we can cross reference your snippets as they are submitted?

My process goes like this:
1. I glance over the snippet to see if it meets the basic guidelines and seems logical.

2. If it seems like a good candidate I check to see if it exist elsewhere. If It does I compare the source to see how much they match.

3. If the code seems to be original I setup a sample project to test it (sometimes this is complicated, sometimes this is easy). I test to ensure that it compiles and runs w/o too much work. I might try several use cases if I suspect an underlying problem.

If we get this far then I generally approve the snippet. It takes a minimum of about 10 mins to approve 1 simple snippet and it has taken an hour or more to approve complex snippets -- and you want me to do whois searches and converse with the other mods?

Best advice to you -- become a mod and then you can approve your own snippets. Otherwise, just be patient and work with us -- we are human -- and we are not getting paid for this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1