how do i learn and understand java

Page 1 of 1

9 Replies - 917 Views - Last Post: 08 June 2009 - 07:37 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

java

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:36 PM

Good evening to everyone,
Am new here and needed help in java, Am a beginner and i want to know and understand what java is all about. i will love to be a progammer but i do'nt have any progamming background. thanks for your time and have a nice day.

This post has been edited by U.c: 08 June 2009 - 12:38 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: java

• straight vegetarian kid

• View blog

Re: java

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:45 PM

just some words of advise, if you're learning JAVA as your first language, it's probably not a good idea because it's a bit more difficult to understand. it was my first and it was kind of tough. if you are looking for a first language you should start with C++ then build up. that's the easier way to do it. if you really want to learn JAVA first though, you could look through some of the basic tutorials here on DIC. you can find them by using the search bar on the top right. then you can read a couple of books on the language itself. one is able to learn both relatively quickly, but if you have any questions we are always here to help. good luck!

This post has been edited by computerfox: 08 June 2009 - 12:45 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:53 PM

I am the opposite to computerfox. I found that learning java as a first language made it so much easier to understand other languages. I suppose its all about preferences though. If you want to program games, then it would be best to start with C++ or C#. Good thing about C~ is that its very similar to java in a way.
For good java books, i would, as most would, advise 'head first in java'.
One more point. I think its very important to get used to the java api as soon as possible. It is extremely difficult to understand at first but is invaluable once you learn how to understand it. The java api basically provides you with information on what every java class can do (description for a new person who might not understand things like methods etc :-))
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:56 PM

Contrary to what Computerfox has stated, I believe that starting with a lower level programming language (which C/C++ is in comparison to Java) is a bad idea. Instead I think you should start with learning Javascript (it is a web scripting language which greatly simplifies object oriented programming, runs in browser, and requires no compiler). However, that is not what the thread is about. You are wanting to know what to do to get started.

That can be fairly difficult, especially considering this is your first language (just a guess, from your OP). Some people say you should go out and buy books on the subject you want to learn. That may work for you, but I have always found reading through hundreds of pages of text to be quite dry, and have always wanted to see what is going on and see what I can create with my knowledge.

As that is the case, I would suggest getting Eclipse:
http://eclipse.org/
installing it, and reading through web based tutorials. Here on Dream in Code (often seen as DIC) you will find quite a few tutorials ranging in all different skill levels and doing a number of things:
http://www.dreaminco...showforum50.htm
There are also tons of other sites out there which offer a range or tutorials on Java (and other languages) so remember that google is your friend.

If you need help, or are stuck on a concept feel free to post here, in the Java section, there are a ton of people willing to help who know some, or most of Java.

Hope you enjoy programming,
BetaWar
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:57 PM

@nick lol i know. it made it easier for me to learn because if you can understand JAVA you can understand C++ due to it being like if you can understand something more difficult you can understand something simpler.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:17 PM

In my opinion, you should just go straight into Java or C# (one of the object oriented languages). If you want to learn Java and are willing to put the effort in, you'll have no problem with the object oriented aspects of it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:20 PM

i agree with that. if you focus on it, you will learn it. go through books and tutorials, but hands on experience is also important. good luck! and welcome to the programming realm.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• There is nothing you can't do with a JTable
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:32 PM

View Postcomputerfox, on 8 Jun, 2009 - 11:57 AM, said:

@nick lol i know. it made it easier for me to learn because if you can understand JAVA you can understand C++ due to it being like if you can understand something more difficult you can understand something simpler.

You are telling us that C++ is easier to understand than Java :blink:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2009 - 06:56 PM

View Postpbl, on 8 Jun, 2009 - 05:32 PM, said:

View Postcomputerfox, on 8 Jun, 2009 - 11:57 AM, said:

You are telling us that C++ is easier to understand than Java :blink:

Yea, what the fuck?

But on the other hand, I'd rather learn C++ first, because it doesn't force OOP. I never thought that learning OOP from the very beginning would be a good idea. Not only is it hard to understand, but without learning procedural programming first, one will not fully appreciate the level of abstraction and code reuse that OOP provides.

This post has been edited by Dantheman: 08 June 2009 - 06:58 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• There is nothing you can't do with a JTable
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:37 PM

Naming a topic "Java" in a forum dedicated to help people coding is Java is not a very good. at least usefull, idea
and it is against rule #5 of this forum that were shown to you when you posted your topic

5. Give your topic a descriptive title, NOT "Help" or "Plz Help Me" or "I'm a noob"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1