• (2 Pages)
  • +

15 Replies - 6535 Views - Last Post: 24 April 2012 - 01:42 PM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

First paid project.

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:37 AM

This last week I had the wonderful opportunity to turn in my first paid for program. It was a VERY simple javascript calculator, that told you the time the cow was supposed to be born 263 days or when you last serviced the cow -263 days. But even though it was simple I was very excited to have a paid for project.

Instead of just making this a topic about me I wanted to hear from you guys. What was your first paid for project?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: First paid project.

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: First paid project.

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:12 AM

My first paid project was in high school. I wrote a COBOL program, on the PDP 11, for my student council to keep track of their banking and books.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

Data retrieval. Didn't ask for anything, but was given a thank you & gift-card to one of my favorite restaurants as a thank you. Felt pretty good that day.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

Made a hangman game using C# for a couple of groups in my programming class. Sold it for 20$ a pop! Hahahaha, good times!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

My first paid project was a VB5 frontend to an access database, for managing stock control in the IT department at a local college. It sucked so bad, but I learned a lot about how not to write software.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:00 AM

Writing line-scan printer SW in Forth for a multi-beam echo sounder of a naval research vessel.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

Congrats Smurphy!

Along with describing what your first paid project was, would any of you care to elaborate on how you actually got the gig?

Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

I was doing my A-Level in Computing (UK high school qualification), and got the chance to do the software project element at the college, building the database. Then I got hired to continue working on it for a month, as a summer job.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

My 1st paid project was when I was in 4th yr. Some 1st year's wanted consult sessions for their major. I was cool! :donatello:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

My first "paid for" project was a few years ago when I was very into game design and development. I believe I created a model of a planet with two skins which were basically the moon, only one was colored blue and the other was red. I got like, $15 for it.

In celebration I bought myself a whole bunch of junk from 7/11 and ended up spending all of my $15 in one day.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:25 AM

My first software I got paid for was back in high school. My friend and I wrote some basic software for the TI-83 calculator that would solve algebra problems, graph them, and then show you the steps that were taken. These were handy for checking your work. We charged other students a dollar a piece to install them. We then went on to make a dedicated program for each chapter, complete with notes, formulas, and equation solvers. After the teachers figured this out they started to clear the memory from all TI83 calculators before every test. Not exactly real or groundbreaking work, but we thought we were pretty cool.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Technophile
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

My first paid project was http://www.paghamtech.com (no I did not design the logo). I went there for a week work experience (which also included onsite installations) while I was at school and was later asked to add the accessibility features and some documentation for 300.

Of course it was not my first site, but it was my first paid one and although the design is not too good (I am no designer), it was fit for its purpose and even four years later the code is not *completely* terrible. Mind you... I don't need anyone to critique it :P

The lady who was the co-founder gave me a lot of advice about business too and she helped me with understanding the laws etc when I went self employed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:01 PM

my first paid project was a database program that essentially allowed a user to view the database in real time and to edit it with point and click knowledge.

in addition to that, it would allow a user to see what is about to enter the database based on work thats currently being done.
it was kind of scary at first, cuz i dunno sql yet(it was surprisingly light on sql, mostly VB.net), but i was surprised to see how helpful everyone was, and everything turned out great.

it was also for the federal government. the purpose of it was to cut back on paper, and I can say the 3 projects I made for them will save the country a significant amount of money because boooooy do they use a lot. you have no idea

This post has been edited by NecroWinter: 18 April 2012 - 01:04 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

Back in the day of just HTML, I made a dual website for one company. Was kinda nice at the time. Made $500 on it
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:00 AM

It was a one-page website for my driving instructor. I don't think he even had a computer. He just wanted to put a www on the side of his car.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +