• (4 Pages)
  • +

48 Replies - 10637 Views - Last Post: 07 September 2009 - 08:55 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Q&A With the Pros - Round 1

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:25 PM

to all:
1. Do any of you have experience with distributive programming?
2. What do you think about the fact that the best developers have managed to do is create a Go game that plays at an intermediate amateur level and takes over 100 hours a turn on a supper computer? My cousin, who is a CS prof at Georgia Tech, thinks it's a matter of "teaching" the pc to "think" like the professionals do.
3. Those of you who work with databases. Can you point us to some good books for working with them and Java?

Skyhawk: How much does it irritate you that people keep posting answers in this thread? :crazy:

This post has been edited by PJLabowski: 17 June 2009 - 04:45 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:06 PM

@Martyr2:

i dont think i have any questions now but i would like to thank you for your fun and educating blog. 2nd, as you are one of my role models here, i hope i become an awesome theoretician as you..am always reading and studying theory of computation and algorithm design and analysis..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:41 AM

@All: When going into college, do you think a computer science degree of an Information Systems degree looks better to employers and why?

@All: When you are coding and need to use a data structure, which one do you think of first? Why do you prefer this structure over the others that exist?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:03 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 19 Jun, 2009 - 08:41 AM, said:

@All: When going into college, do you think a computer science degree of an Information Systems degree looks better to employers and why?

Computer Science. A CS degree is harder to get and requires more knowledge.

@All: When you are coding and need to use a data structure, which one do you think of first? Why do you prefer this structure over the others that exist?

What a weird question. That's like asking a carpenter which tool he thinks of first. Bad carpenter will answer that question. Good carpenter will tell you that it all depends on the problem at hand. You're not going to look at the problem of hammering a nail and thinking of a crowbar, right?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:24 PM

What is the fastest and best way for a computer science graduate with no professional experience to land a job as a programmer?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2009 - 07:14 PM

@Anyone: My teacher said that if you want to make money for a long time, then databases is the way to go. Correct me if I am wrong. :) But will programming (as in a dedication to a language/s; creating programs for a business) do the same?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2009 - 07:22 PM

@Anyone:
What is the pay like for normal programmers and are many jobs in the industry that pay more than say, a doctor? If so, what are these jobs and what are the kinds of skills would someone require to get the jobs?

Thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:37 PM

To anyone: Computer programmer, Software engineer, Software developer, Software architect... etc etc

1) Are there any differences between these (or other similar) titles or are they just a way for programmers to market themselves?
2) If they are different, what is the definition for each title?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:38 PM

To those who established this thread:

When and where can we expect to see the answers to our questions?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:19 PM

@All: Do any of you have experience in Bioninformatics? If so, please explain what an aspiring Bioninformatics student could look forward to in college and in working life. I'm just fishing here, as I realize nobody in the "Pros" section listed any Bioninformatics skills.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 June 2009 - 12:07 PM

Is it worth it to learn C++ for a language? I mean, what are the odds of my video game being published? Are any programming codes easier than C++. If so, what are they, and can they make 3D games? Thanks in advance.

PS: I am not in college, and therefore not learning programming. I am in 7th grade. I don't even have programming homework.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• if($spareTime > 0){ $this->writeCode(); }
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:18 PM

to all really, looking at going into software development for a missile and aerosystems company where my dad currently works as a mager type person. wondering what languag is best to learn c# or c++ or c and also a little brief explanation on what the software actually does in something like a missle (apart from take it to its target lol well how )
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:59 PM

I am a 13 year old kid, and I want to make an action game. What would be the easiest programming code for me to learn? I have a short attention span. Anybody can answer. Also, it is a 3D action game. I already installed CodeBlocks. This is for C++ and C, OpenGl, and Ogre3D. Should I get new software? I also need FREE ways to learn the easiest programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:27 PM

View Postditsy5154, on 27 Jun, 2009 - 08:59 PM, said:

I am a 13 year old kid, and I want to make an action game. What would be the easiest programming code for me to learn? I have a short attention span. Anybody can answer. Also, it is a 3D action game. I already installed CodeBlocks. This is for C++ and C, OpenGl, and Ogre3D. Should I get new software? I also need FREE ways to learn the easiest programming.

For learning game making i would suggest learning C# and XNA Framework. (XBox / Silverlight)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:35 AM

Hi,

Where do you see the evolution of programming to be, in the future?

Considering I started out with GWBasic and some started with other things which I don't know about (let say assembly language since some still use in programming PICs but now they use C) then moved on with Turbo pascal, then further down the line with now C++, Java and the like. And for the current year, we get Django and Grails, by the way to me its new, certainly not listed on your Programming Help menu here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +