• +
  • « First

48 Replies - 10320 Views - Last Post: 07 September 2009 - 08:55 AM

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Q&A With the Pros - Round 1

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:19 AM

Just so everyone knows this hasn't died. I am compiling the answers as the pros get them finished, once all are in I will post them for all. Thanks to everyone who took the time to ask the questions, and to the pros for taking the time to answer them.

Stay tuned, it is coming :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:30 PM

To any of the Pros,

I am currently going for my Computer Science major and Mathematics minor. I have been looking for projects to do during breaks and during summer to keep the brain ticking as it should. I have decided on two possibilities: A Tee Time program for the country club i work at, and an Inventory program for my business partner and I. these are not assignments, i assure you. simply something i want to do with my free time

Tee Time Project: This project will involve integrating a database of all members. It will be providing a GUI for users to create, manage, terminate and quickly glance through future and past dates of tee times. I would also like to have a magnetic strip scanner/swiper/or whatever to be an Input option. To where a member could swipe his membership card and it would tell us what type of membership he has, and how much he owes depending on that membership status. I would need to be able to go to any date in the future and create a tee time. And would like the ability to print out the tee sheets if need be.

Inventory Project: This project will involve a database of all inventory we have. I use Ebay as my main medium for sales and i would like to be able to integrate that into the program. I would like it to keep all information from winning bidders, past inventory, drop shippers used, shipping records, delivery records, and i would like it to automatically send an email to the winning bidder after they win the auction (they love that kind of stuff). And it will do a lot more, but for the idea behind this post this information should be sufficient.

Now to the entire reason i made this post. I dont know which language to select, or combination of languages. I have heard many different suggestions from fellow classmates, but most of them are biased towards those specific languages. I am sure everyone has some biased opinion on which language is better for certain projects/jobs, but i would greatly appreciate any input and/or suggestions as to which language would work the best for each project.

I want to thank any/all of you(ahead of time) for taking the time to read this and providing responses.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:46 AM

Whichever language you're most comfortable with. There's no "better" language, just pick the one whos syntax makes the most sense to you. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:55 AM

@nickm Read this article:
http://www.dreaminco...?showentry=1649

And this Q&A sessions is over, so it would be a better choice to start a new thread to get answers :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First