Who are you?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

23 Replies - 1983 Views - Last Post: 12 June 2009 - 11:02 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Lone Wolf

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:40 PM

Has anybody here been described as a "lone wolf", been diagnosed with avoidant personality disorder, or been called a misanthropist or recluse? If you have, is that part of the reason programming draws you? Is it the ability or conceived notion that programmers are loners? Is sitting at a computer all day working your craft what keeps you doing it?

I have been doing a bit of research, mostly trying to understand myself, and it seems I may be categorized as a misanthropist. I've never been great at socializing, would prefer working alone, etc. Even when I didn't own a pc, I did better working alone and was happier. So, what about the rest of you? What draws you to programming?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Lone Wolf

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Lone Wolf

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:48 PM

Hm, I have fairly normal social skills I would say, so no, I don't think things like recluse would describe me.

As for your other question, I am not really sure. I ahve always just been fascinated with computers and how they worked. SO as soon as I got the chance to start telling them what to do I took it (granted at the time that was basic HTML, but it has since branched out to other languages -- actual programming langauges).

So, that is my "why I wanted to become a programmer story" in short, I am sure the longer version resides somehwere on the forums :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:48 PM

Some are lone wolves and some are socialites. Do remember that programming can very much be a field where you do a lot on your own or work in large teams. Some of us work alone at home while we work in teams in the office and I wouldn't generalize a person's need to be alone as the driving quality behind our want to program. I think the driving force is pretty much the problem solving part of the equation.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:58 PM

Has anybody here been described as a "lone wolf"

If I were a lone wolf, who would tell me I fit the description?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 June 2009 - 10:07 PM

Personally I am not a lone wolf. I would even say I am the complete opposite to a lone wolf - I work more efficiently in a team. For some reason I feel more comfortable with people around me, even if they don't contribute to my specific task.

The thing that draws me to programming are the infinite possibilities. Your own imagination is the limit when it comes to software development. It is one of those fields where you can combine creativity and analytical thinking. I always liked solving hard problems and this is probably one of the most important things that draws me to programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:56 AM

View PostPwn, on 9 Jun, 2009 - 08:40 PM, said:

Has anybody here been described as a "lone wolf", been diagnosed with avoidant personality disorder, or been called a misanthropist or recluse? If you have, is that part of the reason programming draws you? Is it the ability or conceived notion that programmers are loners? Is sitting at a computer all day working your craft what keeps you doing it?

I have been doing a bit of research, mostly trying to understand myself, and it seems I may be categorized as a misanthropist. I've never been great at socializing, would prefer working alone, etc. Even when I didn't own a pc, I did better working alone and was happier. So, what about the rest of you? What draws you to programming?

Hey,
I completely understand you. I have always had some of the same personality characteristics. (Note: I said "characteristics" NOT "flaws") I have to actually make an effort to be social - it certainly doesn't come easily. I much prefer to work alone and to solve my problems myself rather than ask for help. I even have some trouble being "social" online.
When I found programming while studying to become a computer technician I suddenly realized I had found my niche. That was over 15 years ago and I still haven't found a way to break into the field professionly. I suspect my personality keeps the doors closed to me. I just want to code for a living.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:11 AM

I am very outgoing and have an easy time meeting new people. However, I am generally a loner when it comes to programming - I like manageable, singular projects over group projects. I've been burned by incompetence and weight too many times in the past.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:44 AM

I'm fine working with others. People are also a kind of puzzle. Once you figure them out, understand the rules, they're easy enough to deal with. It's kind of like programming.

I like people. I enjoy the company of others. However, I don't need people to be happy. I've known many people who are far more content with others around than being completely alone. I've know people who seemed to need other people around.

I'm quite content to be left alone. Working in groups is often required, but I'll get more done without others bothering me. Frankly, solitary confinement has never sounded particularly bothersome to me. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:42 AM

My personality is rather similar to Dexter's, if anyone here has seen the show.

Without the serial killing of course.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:50 PM

View PostRaynes, on 10 Jun, 2009 - 05:42 AM, said:

No serial killing, but you still enjoy working with blood, keeping blood trophies, and sneaking around? :P I love that show.

Anyway, back on topic, I don't know if I'm quite the lone wolf or not. Programmers can be like all other people in the world: cool, not cool, crazy, not crazy.... The thought of making games is what originally drew me to programming, but now I enjoy it for the technology and problem solving. I like to believe that it keeps me sharp.

I enjoy being by myself in general, and at one point in my life I could be considered a recluse since I preferred to play video games over hanging out with people (I kind of still prefer this sometimes). But nowadays, with hobbies like martial arts, hiking and tennis, you learn to adapt and become less of a recluse. Especially if you get a significant other....you'll learn quick that your reclusive ways will destroy a relationship. My girlfriend gets angry at me sometimes since I purposefully don't listen to her because I like staying in my own focus zone, whether it's on the computer or playing a video game, and she knows it. She'll get pissed off when I forget about something that she told me a minute prior. Why did I forget? Because I was only half-ass listening. I'm trying to fix this, but it's not coming to me naturally. Doesn't help that I don't talk much in general either. I rarely ever phone my friends to hang out too; if they call me, cool, if not, cool.

You never know, you could find people out there or here on D.I.C. that share similar interests or can share stories of their life that you might find interesting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:19 PM

I'm definitely not a lone wolf, and I haven't really met too many lone wolf programmers, maybe there's a reason for that, if I had they probably wouldn't be lone wolves.

But I got into programming because I thought all the hackers and people I'd hear about on TV were really cool.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:04 PM

View Postmasteryee, on 10 Jun, 2009 - 12:50 PM, said:

View PostRaynes, on 10 Jun, 2009 - 05:42 AM, said:

No serial killing, but you still enjoy working with blood, keeping blood trophies, and sneaking around? :P I love that show.

Anyway, back on topic, I don't know if I'm quite the lone wolf or not. Programmers can be like all other people in the world: cool, not cool, crazy, not crazy.... The thought of making games is what originally drew me to programming, but now I enjoy it for the technology and problem solving. I like to believe that it keeps me sharp.

I enjoy being by myself in general, and at one point in my life I could be considered a recluse since I preferred to play video games over hanging out with people (I kind of still prefer this sometimes). But nowadays, with hobbies like martial arts, hiking and tennis, you learn to adapt and become less of a recluse. Especially if you get a significant other....you'll learn quick that your reclusive ways will destroy a relationship. My girlfriend gets angry at me sometimes since I purposefully don't listen to her because I like staying in my own focus zone, whether it's on the computer or playing a video game, and she knows it. She'll get pissed off when I forget about something that she told me a minute prior. Why did I forget? Because I was only half-ass listening. I'm trying to fix this, but it's not coming to me naturally. Doesn't help that I don't talk much in general either. I rarely ever phone my friends to hang out too; if they call me, cool, if not, cool.

You never know, you could find people out there or here on D.I.C. that share similar interests or can share stories of their life that you might find interesting.

It's funny you mention that. The greeting on my website is "I smell death on you. - Welcome to the Coder Secks Hut. Where the secks is free, and the blood comes in buckets!..."

I don't work as a blood spatter guy, but the sneaking around bit I do.

Also, that's my favorite show. I can't wait for the next season to come out on DVD :D.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• class Me : Perfection
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:49 PM

Well, it's funny. Before i learned programming, i was pretty much the guy that sits in the back of the class that never says anything and has no friends. Now, well, i still sit in the back and don't talk much. Except in honors math 'cause i sat at a table with my three best friends. But now, just about everybody knows me as a guy with a good personality that doesn't talk much, so i'm not the school nerd or anything. The black guys know me more as the white guy that can rap (long story). And contrary to your stereotype, i really couldn't imagine a lonely life. I do not like to be alone and have no one to talk to, even if i'm just chatting to a bunch of programming loosers on the web.

(That was a joke)

This post has been edited by jacobjordan: 10 June 2009 - 08:50 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The cheese stands alone..
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:09 PM

I, definitely, am a lone wolf.

People often call me that.. not the exact word but a word in Hindi meaning loner.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Disassembling...
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:16 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 9 Jun, 2009 - 08:58 PM, said:

Has anybody here been described as a "lone wolf"

If I were a lone wolf, who would tell me I fit the description?

Lol, good point!

As for me, no-one else I know codes. But I'm fairly social.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +