2 Replies - 568 Views - Last Post: 10 June 2009 - 08:38 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

New to Web Development - Looking for Advice

Post icon  Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:01 AM

Hello Everyone!

I'm a 2nd year Software Engineering student and I'm looking to take on my first freelancing web development contract for a family member. She owns a babysitting company, and the website is to be simple. It should be able to do this:

- Provide information of hours of operations, fees, etc.
- Editable new section
- Add some pictures
- Have a nice child-design UI

I've downloaded the Adobe photoshop/illustrator/dreamweaver package. I have a fair bit of experience with Javascript. I also have done some work with HTML when I was younger. So it shouldn't be too hard.

I'm wondering where to start. And how to go about the whole process of designing & getting a webpage up from start to finish. I'm not looking for individual tutorials on how to use photoshop or stuff like that, but just some general information from all of you web developers. This seems like a great first project and I'm really keen on starting it.

Thanks A lot!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New to Web Development - Looking for Advice

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: New to Web Development - Looking for Advice

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:36 AM

When I start a website from scratch I like think about the following:

1.Banner/Layout
-What is my banner going to look like? Where am I going to put it? Whats the general layout?
2. Navigation
-How does it work with the banner? Does fit in with my design?
3. Color/Look and Feel
-Make sure that the banner, navigation, the background colors, highlight colors, and all the content boxes match and look good.
4. Add content
-It should be pretty simple to just add content because you've already set up a template.

Hope this helps!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New to Web Development - Looking for Advice

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:38 AM

The first thing we do is prepare with the client exactly what they want.

This generally consists of a basic plan containing which pages they'll be wanting (including a full count for quoting purposes), what style design they'd like (meaning colours, layout, etc), and any dynamic areas that they'd like (client-dynamic, meaning contact forms, etc). We'd then go more in depth about the dynamic pages if required, and from there produce a quote.

Once that's created we'll create a flat design to show to the client, that is basically a draft, maybe even a sketch, that will demonstrate layout and sometimes colour. If they're happy with that we'll build a draft within a graphic design application that will start to represent their actual website, again, send it off to the client for approval and comments/changes that they may have. The above process will be repeated until we have a flat design ready to work from.

At that point the design will be handed over to a developer (generally me) who will start to build the site. The way I always build a site is this:
Body CSS, background image, repeating if necessary, font.
Main Container CSS, because most sites have a central page around 800-1010px wide, will be centered with background.
Build a Header and Footer include, which would also consist of any common javascript file if neccassary.
Build up an index page, show it to the client for approval.

Once approved the site will be built up using the code from the index page... Then go off again for approval.

The site's now complete so we'll await payment, once paid send over the source files if not hosted by us. If it is hosted by us then we'll activate their account within our control panel system so that they can use our content management features.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1