Need advice on moving to a second language

Page 1 of 1

14 Replies - 796 Views - Last Post: 22 June 2009 - 01:16 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Moving On...

Post icon  Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:15 PM

Hello, I'm currently in the state between High School and College trying my best to prepare ahead of time, and now I'm having trouble starting a new language. I've been programming with Python 3 for the last 5 to 6 months, and would like to move on to C++. I obviously don't want to take the long route and start from the begining of starting to program, so:

1. How do you best start learning a new language?
2. How do you know where to start?

(I did start with C++, but got nowhere fast, so I moved to Python, and I'm now capable of doing a decent program with Python)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Moving On...

• Garbage Collector

• View blog

Re: Moving On...

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:31 PM

I'd say if you are just starting college, then C++ is definitely a good thing to learn. You may want to look into learning some Java too though, seems like a lot of schools like to start off with that.

Anyway, I'm not overly good at any language, but I'd say the best way to learn on your own is by doing tutorials. There's tons of tutorials on the web, so you'll have no problem finding any. Simply go to Google and type in "(insert language) beginners tutorials".

Go through a few tutorials, you know.. get the basics down. Now you'll have a basic understand of the syntax and will be a step ahead when you are taught it in college. Other things I could recommend are buying books about languages.

Best thing though, just practice! Look at other people's source codes, modify them into your own. Anything to get you hands on experience with the language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2009 - 03:40 AM

If you're more of a book person I suggest you get SAMS Teach yourself C++ in 21 Days is a great book to learn C++. Used it myself and was a great starting point. If you don't have the cash to buy it here is a online version only(a bit old but will still help)

C++ in 21 days second edition

good luck and enjoy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:02 AM

See, that's the problem, beginer books are great, and I even a have a 1/2 decent C++ book (I actually have three, but the other two suck, outdated or too many errors).

I need advice on how to continue learning, not starting from the begining... I'm sure I could learn any language if I were start with the very basics, but what use would that be to me?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:28 AM

:D
Hello,

Just start writing C++ programs.

You learn best by doing, not reading.

When you have a problem with one of your C++ projects post the code and the questions and we will help you.

This site will be a lot of help.

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:24 AM

Many people (including me) find it useful to port small to medium sized apps that we've written in one language to the language that we are trying to learn.

This will highlight the differences between what your used to and what your learning, as well as giving you a definite goal.

Port some of your "decent programs" from Python to C++. As you come across things that you don't know how to do, you will learn.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:01 AM

View Postcode_m, on 11 Jun, 2009 - 09:02 AM, said:

See, that's the problem, beginer books are great, and I even a have a 1/2 decent C++ book (I actually have three, but the other two suck, outdated or too many errors).

I need advice on how to continue learning, not starting from the begining... I'm sure I could learn any language if I were start with the very basics, but what use would that be to me?

You could also check out projectEuler.net. I know a lot of the projects are over some people's heads (mine included), but it's a good way to explore parts of the language that school projects and teach-yourself books probably wouldn't.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2009 - 04:16 PM

thanks xclite.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:00 AM

Are you going to be studying CS or IT at college? If so, you should find out what language they teach freshmen there and start learning that. If not, I would recommend one of the object oriented languages like Java or C#.

This post has been edited by 333OnlyHalfEvil: 13 June 2009 - 03:00 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:59 AM

View Postxclite, on 11 Jun, 2009 - 10:01 AM, said:

You could also check out projectEuler.net. I know a lot of the projects are over some people's heads (mine included), but it's a good way to explore parts of the language that school projects and teach-yourself books probably wouldn't.

I completely agree. Although the problems are based around mathematics so you'll need a pretty good understanding for a lot of the problems, as well as a serving of Google but mathematics is something you need if you're going to be a programmer anyway. I found it was best to, as you've already done, get the basics of the language down and then just start tackling problems/tasks. When you come across something you don't know how to do, you should be able to find out what it is you need to learn with use of Google and then 9/10 times that will lead on to further things to learn and your knowledge will build up from there. The beauty of Project Euler is once you've tackled one problem you normally have to learn a new technique of doing things and it opens new doors to the other problems on the site.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:52 AM

My plan is to attend PTI for Computer Programming (yes, they have a specific major for it)

I have tried to learn what languages I should know, but I'm pretty sure C / C++ will be taught because their goal is to teach stuff you will likely use in the field. They (as a school) have many relationships with businesses, and routinely ask them what they need to be teaching. (or at least that's what my student representitive sold me)

As far as math goes, I'm set already, this past year I Aced Trignomitry with ease. The worst math class I ever had was Algebra II, but only because I was bored out of mind (I did zero homework and aced all the tests). Math has come natural to me since the first grade :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:22 AM

View Postcode_m, on 13 Jun, 2009 - 07:52 AM, said:

My plan is to attend PTI for Computer Programming (yes, they have a specific major for it)

I have tried to learn what languages I should know, but I'm pretty sure C / C++ will be taught because their goal is to teach stuff you will likely use in the field. They (as a school) have many relationships with businesses, and routinely ask them what they need to be teaching. (or at least that's what my student representitive sold me)

As far as math goes, I'm set already, this past year I Aced Trignomitry with ease. The worst math class I ever had was Algebra II, but only because I was bored out of mind (I did zero homework and aced all the tests). Math has come natural to me since the first grade :D

Algebra's important. Depending on the curriculum, you can get into some high level calculus, which is always fun.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:44 PM

oh, I'm not saying I'm bad at all at Algebra, I just had 5 years of it, so I was bored! (They took out Geometry, because that was suppose to be taught along side Algebra)

I'm think I'll buy a Calc book to play with over the summer, I just like math that much. Quite seriously, I had very few issues with Trig at all, since most is just advanced logic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 June 2009 - 05:08 AM

Hi, I done V.B NET Last term and moving onto C# in August.
I've been working through the projects on the following link:
http://www.homeandle...arp/csharp.html
I've also been told to get the book C# For Beginners 2008 2nd edition by Cristian Gross.
Anyone tell me if the book will offer anything more?
Or if there's a better book out there for me?
Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:16 PM

FORTRAN or BASIC :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +