my first website

need some feedback

Page 1 of 1

8 Replies - 779 Views - Last Post: 12 June 2009 - 06:00 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

my first website

Posted 11 June 2009 - 05:33 AM

this is my first atempt at a site and i have tried for a imposible task .
still learning been doing for about 6 weeks i would like some feedback on the layout and the colors.anyone have any ideas on making look a bit better let me know please.
all feedback is welcome even bad i need to know what to fix u can go in using guest

http://www.stablemaster.org

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: my first website

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: my first website

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:03 AM

These are a few suggestions about your web site:

1. Your stablemaster image, you are using a png image so it would be a good idea to make the background transparent, the white on cyan detracts from the page.

2. You are using tables for layout on your homepage, I would suggest looking into using cascading style sheets for your layout instead.

3. You might want to make a navigation bar, like ones here on dream in code, vertical or horizontal your choice. If you want vertical then having the menu on the left is what most people expect.

4. I realize that the site is still under construction but you may want to think about a news page that will give the latest updates about the site.

I hope I'm not sounding harsh and I don't want to discourage you. Everybody must start somewhere. I have done many of the same things you did when I first started out. My site isn't perfect but it is getting better.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:08 AM

I have noticed you have used a table for the layout which is quite a big no no now within the web design industry :)

Also i'm not quite sure why you have decided to use a form and text area to house your text any particualr reason?

On the Logo you could change it so it has a transparent background which could look a little better.

But keep up the work it will all come together soon :)

tommyflint

This post has been edited by tommyflint: 11 June 2009 - 08:10 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:17 AM

Along with what the above two have said I would like to add that you may want to stay away from using non-conventional language such as "u" instead of "you". It makes you site feel more professional, which people are going to want if you intend on getting them to download a product.

Hmm, I donno, that may be the new convention. :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2009 - 12:17 PM

thanks for the sudgestions

tried changing the background colors they are to boring now lol
any good cobinations that i can use
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2009 - 12:25 PM

What i tend to use when designing a website is adobe kuler.

I pick my base colour and then use kuler to find colours which go with it

link: http://kuler.adobe.com/

Maybe try like a line background as these are often used on jockeys hats and may look pretty cool, I would suggest only using it on part of the background for example the header.

edit-: Example - Attached Image

tommyflint

This post has been edited by tommyflint: 11 June 2009 - 12:33 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 BetaWar  Icon User is online

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2009 - 03:40 PM

The first thing that I see when going to the page is how white it is. This is partially because the skin is white, and also because it only have a couple of images, a few links and a textbox on the side. I would suggest getting a background in place that has some color in it, and I would also suggest using CSS to spice up the looks.

I suggest using divs and spans to make the layout instead of tables (a lot of people detest tables).

Hopefully that doesn't sound too harsh.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:23 PM

View PostBetaWar, on 11 Jun, 2009 - 02:40 PM, said:

The first thing that I see when going to the page is how white it is. This is partially because the skin is white, and also because it only have a couple of images, a few links and a textbox on the side. I would suggest getting a background in place that has some color in it, and I would also suggest using CSS to spice up the looks.

I suggest using divs and spans to make the layout instead of tables (a lot of people detest tables).

Hopefully that doesn't sound too harsh.

got no idea how to use divs and spans at the moment still learning
using dreamwever it seems easy to set up with the tables but i will look into it got loads of books and reading all the time trying to take in as much as possible which is why i posted for a joint parner in the other forum i will keep at it lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:00 PM

There are tutorials in the CSS section that can help you get started with CSS and divs and spans. The CSS pretty Horizontal and Vertical Menus is great for making nice menus. I've used it and I think the results are nice!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1