Do you talk to your pets

...as though they might really understand.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

53 Replies - 1707 Views - Last Post: 17 June 2009 - 05:19 AM

Poll: Talking To Pets (44 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you talk to your pets?

1. No -- Talking to animals is stupid as they can't understand. (1 votes [2.27%])

Percentage of vote: 2.27%

2. Only Commands -- Animals should do as they are told. (5 votes [11.36%])

Percentage of vote: 11.36%

3. Only if I really need to talk to someone that can keep a secret (1 votes [2.27%])

4. Yes -- its not like we really have conversations -- but I talk they pick up some little things here and there. (27 votes [61.36%])

Percentage of vote: 61.36%

5. Yes -- My cat and I were lovers it a previous life -- we have no secrets. (10 votes [22.73%])

Percentage of vote: 22.73%

Are people who talk to thier pets crazy?

1. Yes -- Lock them up! (1 votes [2.27%])

2. No -- Just a little strange thats all. (16 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

3. No -- Pets are people too. (27 votes [61.36%])

Percentage of vote: 61.36%

Vote Guests cannot vote

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Do you talk to your pets

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:52 AM

I get made fun of quite a bit at home because I talk to our pets. I say hello and good-morning to them, I ask them questions. I compliment them, I explain what is going on. It is not as though I really expect them to start talking back in complete sentences with an English accent one day -- I just feel that it is rude to bark commands at them all the time.

Plus I believe that at the very least with a combination of Pavlovian coincidence and a little animal sense the pets pick up a small vocabulary this way. My cat definitely knows the words: "can", "outside", "nap", and "Time OUT!" and "treat"-- I suspect that he also has learned the word "vet". Our dog knows the words "out" (but not really "outside"), "walk", "bone", "rope", "ball", and even "toy" as a general term (the others are specific to the type of toy).

So anyway, I don't see anything wrong with talking to the pets... its not like I really expect them to understand. -- Am I crazy?

I have no idea how this ended up in the C++ section... moved :blush:

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Do you talk to your pets

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Do you talk to your pets

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:54 AM

Not crazy. I don't have any pets at the mo, but when I di I talked to them all the time.

Pets can be quite smart and usually start to pick up on what you say :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:56 AM

I talk to my dog all the time, she normally helps me solve complex programming issues by staring aimlessly back into my eyes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:59 AM

I talk to my dog all the time!

Plus I believe that at the very least with a combination of Pavlovian coincidence and a little animal sense the pets pick up a small vocabulary this way

I believe this is true too, my dog is now able to tell which toy i want it to return which i think is pretty amazin :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:08 AM

View Posttommyflint, on 11 Jun, 2009 - 01:59 PM, said:

I believe this is true too, my dog is now able to tell which toy i want it to return which i think is pretty amazin :)

Mine knows the difference between a toy and a ball, and about a thousand different ways of inferring food (as well as the usual sit, stay, leave it, please don't roll in that fox shit etc). I think I talk to him a bit more than other animals I've had since he's so big and pretty chilled, so he always seems like he's paying attention when you talk. But then I even occasionally talk to our puffa fish when he's trying to attract attention and feeding at the front of the tank, so hell maybe I'm just crazy :crazy:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:08 AM

its not crazy, I've had this cat for about 11 years now and she's part of the family..my cat understands a few words too..anyway also my sister and mom talk to her sometimes
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:09 AM

I talk to my pets all the time. We have 4 (now) inside dogs, my Miniature Schnauzer, our Lap and the wife's Jack Russell Terrier (she just bought a Schnorkie (Miniature Schnauzer & Yorkie) and we get to bring him home this weekend, hopefully I'm home by then) and we talk to them like humans (that's not to mention the outside pets, the Rottweiler and the cats)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:14 AM

i would talk to my dog all the time. I would greet her when i got home from. Say goodbye to her before i left for work. I wouldnt even have a convo with her, but i would sometimes say stuff to her like she actually did understand me. It was a great relationship. I miss her :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:34 AM

Yes I even talk to fish... though not as much and not really as "freely" as I talk with the cat or dog. Heck I even talk to the squirrels -- I don't ask them for stock tips or query them about acorn futures but I will say good morning and, "looks like it might rain today."

"Looks like its going to be a hot day to-day" (ah Saturday morning cartoons...) Maybe I am crazy -- but just in general.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:36 AM

Working at home with nobody around means it's just me and the dogs most of the time. I talk to them throughout the day. Bounce the occasional idea off of them. Keeps me sane..... or does it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:46 AM

NickDMax is the new Dr. Dolittle :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• straight vegetarian kid

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:48 AM

you guys shouldn't really care that much about what people think of you if you do certain things. if you love your pet, you'll spend time with them and if they love you, they'll stay instead of just running off. so no, you are not crazy nick.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:49 AM

Of course they understand. They're people, aren't they? Best thing is, they don't always agree but they hardly ever argue with you. Nick, I think you're selling your dog short. I never actually counted, but I guess my dog understood at least 30 words & probably more. "Wanna go for a run?" "...a ride?" "get the white ball" "... green ball" "... tennis ball" (he was very much into balls) "where's Elsie?" "where's Dorothy?" "where's E.T.?" (squeaky toys) "Lady", "Guy", "Chava" (other dogs) "let's go to the park" "get the kong" and he sure as hell knew what "beach" means.

I miss him.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• binary decision maker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:51 AM

I also talk to my computer. And sometimes my reflection.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:53 AM

There was once a goose that was laying claim to a bit of walkway to the ship -- he was terrorizing the passing sailors on their way to the ship. I just walked right up to him and said, "Your pretty bold for something I might eat for Christmas dinner" -- He promptly gathered up his gaggle and moved on.

Maybe I am Dolittlesk -- maybe I am just crazy -- but I don't have to take the long way to work when a goose has claimed the path.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »