• +

26 Replies - 1940 Views - Last Post: 23 June 2009 - 06:41 AM

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

My new side project...

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:19 AM

Hi everybody,

I'm starting out on a new game project with, you probably guessed it, XNA. Right now things are a little undecided but I'm starting to flesh out the details. It is a 2D side scroller called Crystal Caverns. The story line is as follows:

King Hartsmere has decide to give the first hero to go deep into the Crystal Caverns and find the legendary Fire Opal and return with it the Princess Heather's hand in marriage. Norman has decided to take up the challenge to find the legendary Fire Opal and win the Princess Heather's hand in marriage.

There are still a lot of details that need to be worked out. It is a starting point though.

Regards,

Jamie

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: My new side project...

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: My new side project...

Posted 12 June 2009 - 04:28 PM

Well, I have been working on the design document and have a better idea about what I want to do. The main character, Norman(really thinking about changing the name :P ), will have a suit of armor and be able to pick up four weapons. The weapons are thrown weapons, if you have ever played Ghosts & Goblins, the weapons will be a little like that. I'm not sure about the sprites I'm going to use yet but I do have some stunning tiles and backgrounds to work with. I'm hoping to have fairly good sound but just like with the sprites and not really being a great artist I'm not that great with sound.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo apt-get install brain
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2009 - 05:27 PM

Good luck with it!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 4+1=Moo
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:19 PM

View PostSixOfEleven, on 11 Jun, 2009 - 08:19 AM, said:

Hi everybody,

I'm starting out on a new game project with, you probably guessed it, XNA. Right now things are a little undecided but I'm starting to flesh out the details. It is a 2D side scroller called Crystal Caverns. The story line is as follows:

King Hartsmere has decide to give the first hero to go deep into the Crystal Caverns and find the legendary Fire Opal and return with it the Princess Heather's hand in marriage. Norman has decided to take up the challenge to find the legendary Fire Opal and win the Princess Heather's hand in marriage.

There are still a lot of details that need to be worked out. It is a starting point though.

Regards,

Jamie

hey! you in luck! Sapphire.NET would be a perfect if you need to script what people are saying in your game, etc....(at least after it's third pre-alpha)...
Anyway...I like your storyline so far...Where/When will this game take place? :P And is this open source?

This post has been edited by Amrykid: 12 June 2009 - 06:41 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:19 AM

View PostAmrykid, on 12 Jun, 2009 - 07:19 PM, said:

hey! you in luck! Sapphire.NET would be a perfect if you need to script what people are saying in your game, etc....(at least after it's third pre-alpha)...
Anyway...I like your storyline so far...Where/When will this game take place? :P And is this open source?

It will more than likely be an open source project. This game is pretty much fantasy based, it takes place in a fantasy world. More spefically the game will be in a series of caverns. The caverns will have a lot of crystal like features, hence Crystal Caverns. I've been working on the design document.

Sapphire.NET would be nice but I like trying to do things like that myself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 4+1=Moo
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:51 AM

View PostSixOfEleven, on 13 Jun, 2009 - 05:19 AM, said:

View PostAmrykid, on 12 Jun, 2009 - 07:19 PM, said:

It will more than likely be an open source project. This game is pretty much fantasy based, it takes place in a fantasy world. More spefically the game will be in a series of caverns. The caverns will have a lot of crystal like features, hence Crystal Caverns. I've been working on the design document.

Sapphire.NET would be nice but I like trying to do things like that myself.

yes, but I would like to see if it would work.....Sapphire gives you lots of ways to customize it, and it will save you the trouble of writing your own so you can work on the storyline, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:28 PM

I'll think about it. It actually be better for the RPG I'm working on. It is totally open source and it could help a lot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 4+1=Moo
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:31 PM

View PostSixOfEleven, on 13 Jun, 2009 - 12:28 PM, said:

I'll think about it. It actually be better for the RPG I'm working on. It is totally open source and it could help a lot.

YAY :P let me know if you find any bugs or have any suggestions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:41 PM

UPDATE

Personal issues are keeping me from my projects but I have done a little work today. The design document is looking pretty good. Still needs a fair amount of detail. Built the base project with a screen manager. I'd post updates but I can't connect my laptop to the Internet here, I'm using my father's computer when I get a chance to do a little Internet stuff.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:13 AM

UPDATE

Been doing a little work on tiles and graphics. When I can get to the Internet with my laptop I will add a few samples. Right now though, too much is going on at my father's and I only have access to the Internet using his computer. :( (Which I now have to get off of.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• His name was Robert Paulson.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:18 PM

Jamie, I sent you a PM. I want to participate in this project. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:27 PM

Ya, I did get your PM. Been VERY busy with thing here at my father's. People dropping by all the time, five adults having to share one Internet connection. (Yikes!) Then trips back and forth to the funeral home. Will be going home tomorrow night. Probably won't be posting anything on the project until Thurday.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:21 PM

Well, I'm finally home and I thought I would post what I've been working on lately on Crystal Caverns. Right now it is still pretty simple. I've just created the screen manager. I've also been working on the design document. The design document isn't quite finished but it is a good start.

This is the first screen of the game:

Posted Image

I'm adding the latest version of the design document:

Attached File  crystalcavernsdocument.pdf (110.54K)
Number of downloads: 55
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:26 AM

Pretty impressive so far. Nice menu. :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:43 AM

Update

Going to start working on tiles for the first set of caverns. I'm just hoping I can make sprites that match the tiles that I'm making. I'll probably make three or four and start work on tiling a map, then scrolling the map.

@papuccino1
I'm going to be working on a level editor soon. If you would like to help with that, it would be great! I want to have a few tiles ready before I start working on it.

@Tom2729
Thanks. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +