3 Replies - 1128 Views - Last Post: 13 June 2009 - 07:56 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Learning Programming

Post icon  Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:33 PM

Hello,

I'm a new member here. I have some basic knowledge of programming but I was in pursuing a teaching career and so have been out of touch with programming for almost 8 years. Finally having made up my mind to switch careers, I started working as a Software QA Tester and in my spare time started dabbling with C# to figure out writing some automation tests.

I'm finding programming quite interesting, especially the logical and intelligence demanding aspect of it and I do want to become a deveoper. Since I'm living in a small retirement town it's proving somewhat of a challenge getting information and inputs on how to go about learning programming and so I would appreciate any pointers regarding the same. Here are some formulated questions:

- Any thoughts on what is a good way to become proficient in programming?

- Every now and then I keep hearning people have moved to the software field by taking some classes. Has anyone here taken any training classes that's been helpful? The community college in my town doesn't offer anything I haven't already studied :-( . So the only thing possible is to pursue either online classes or probably a crash course in another town. Any experiences or thoughts on training classes? And if so then would you like to suggest some good training centers?

- I've gotten many suggestion to just start hands-on self-learning. The only glitch with that is how to define the context as to what and how much to learn. I would love to actually work on a hands-on project just in order to learn. Is there any training center or course that incorporates creating a project as a part of the training? Or are there websites where I can find such a project?

- A list of good books and websites?

- If you wish, plz feel free to share what's helped you in your learning curve.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Learning Programming

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Learning Programming

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:50 PM

You can start by exploring the links in our C# Reference thread.

Next, you can learn more by using multiple different sources. I suggest you actually learn using at least three different sources... books, forums, and online tutorials/articles are all pretty cheap and you can do it from anywhere including a small town (as long as you receive mail so that you can have books sent to your house).

My blog also features a nice reading list for books of all languages (C# included) that can help you get started and into intermediate level programming. You can find it at the link below...

Martyr2's Programming Underground - Book Recommendations For A Variety of Languages

You can learn a lot from asking questions on boards just like this one. We provide timely answers to questions that you may get from reading books or tutorials and articles.

Combine all this with a lot of practice and creativity and you can certainly achieve quite a bit.

Depending on where you live you may have also access to other classes besides at a community college. There are also user groups world wide, meetups and others like yourself who meet together to practice the programming craft. Try searching for them on the net and I am sure you will find someone that you can correspond with.

Hope this helps you out. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:26 PM

Or a post office. Everyone has access to a post office, somewhere right?

EDIT:

Chill out, I was just adding to his post.

This post has been edited by Raynes: 13 June 2009 - 10:51 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:56 PM

Hey, This topic isn't about post offices! Plz do not depart from the essence of the topic. Thanks!

This post has been edited by LearningCSharp: 13 June 2009 - 08:00 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1