Page 1 of 1

5 Replies - 900 Views - Last Post: 13 June 2009 - 07:11 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Job Tips

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:09 PM

Hello,

First let me clear this up. I am searching for anyone who may have any tips for an aspiring computer engineer (myself and many others)!!! If this is in the wrong forum, I would love a moderator to move it to the appropriate one! With that being said, I am 15 years old and going into my junior year in high school. As I said previously I would like to pursue a career in the computer science/engineering world. My school offers no resources for computers in general, other than business classes, which I take. I am currently learning c++ (quickly), reading all of the tutorials that I can on the subject! I would like to move on to c# or another high level language, in time. So what I am asking is if anyone could help me by sharing how they got started in programming/engineering and if there have any useful resources that I may be able to utilize! I welcome all suggestions and stories! I'm not looking for a job, that's why this post is not in the jobs forum.?.? :D So if anyone would like to help me out, I will gladly hit the This post was helpful button!

Thank you in advance,
Aaron

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Job Tips

• His name was Robert Paulson.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Job Tips

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:31 PM

Start making some programs!

Seriously, start making yourself some programs that you actually want to use. Start slow!

For instance, the first program I ever built was a software that reminded me certain time events that I set so I wouldn't forget my medication, classes, etc. It was a fairly small project, but it was nice to start having things under my belt.

Don't get discouraged when something doesn't work out. Take some time off and when you get back to the problem chances are you'll have a new view on it.

Baby steps all the way. Don't aim to make an MMO the second you learn some basic syntax.

Code, code and code some more. Think about this: If you code for 20 minutes a day; in a week you'll have two hours of coding done! It adds up and before you know it you'll be able to solve problems fairly quickly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:34 PM

View Postpapuccino1, on 13 Jun, 2009 - 04:31 PM, said:

Start making some programs!

Seriously, start making yourself some programs that you actually want to use. Start slow!

For instance, the first program I ever built was a software that reminded me certain time events that I set so I wouldn't forget my medication, classes, etc. It was a fairly small project, but it was nice to start having things under my belt.

Don't get discouraged when something doesn't work out. Take some time off and when you get back to the problem chances are you'll have a new view on it.

Baby steps all the way. Don't aim to make an MMO the second you learn some basic syntax.

Code, code and code some more. Think about this: If you code for 20 minutes a day; in a week you'll have two hours of coding done! It adds up and before you know it you'll be able to solve problems fairly quickly.

You are so right! That was a great idea Papuccino, thank you!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:49 PM

I know you said you aren't looking for a job in Computer Science/Engineering, but when you are an if you still don't know much, then look for just a job as a secretary or just the guy at the front desk. I did somehting similar to that. The company I am with has a Automotive Call Center, PC Tech support, and Web Development dept. It's still only about a 15 person company, but I started out in the Call Center and told one of the owner's that I knew some web design and graphic arts stuff, and so every once in a while he would have me do some stuff like making icons or whatever and now I am the lead web developer. And I have only been working there for about 9 months... so I know what it is like to learn quickly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:10 PM

Myself being in about the same spot as you, I'd suggest you find two or three particular schools in your price range, and then really compare them. In particular, which one has the most focust program, which is more general ; which one is most well known by companies that you could like work for?

Once you think you've found that school, then do everything you can to prepare yourself to attend there. I know you've likely heard it a million times, but apply yourself in high school, it didn't sink for me until I had a goal (and that was getting to the college of my choice).

Also, since your starting at an earlier age, look for someone to program with, to get some "group" projects going for yourself. I suggest this only for one reason, there isn't a lot of solo programming jobs out there.

Other than that, do what already been suggested, write code!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:11 PM

** Moved to Corner Cubicle **
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -