Im trying to learn how to make a game!

i need help from NICE people

Page 1 of 1

9 Replies - 1080 Views - Last Post: 16 June 2009 - 12:46 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Im trying to learn how to make a game!

Post icon  Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:43 PM

ok so im trying to make a game and i need to learn java and some people on here arent giving me very good advice.what is the BEST site to learn java?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Im trying to learn how to make a game!

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Im trying to learn how to make a game!

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:37 PM

who knows man. i dont even like java to be honest. languages aren't a perfect way to start. having motivation and the will to understand how sht works is what creating programs is about. the language is just a way to do it at the end.

if you're serious about this then don't ever overlook the basics just cus it looks dainty and noob. a powerful start in my opinion is Alice 2.2

i wont tell you what it is or even try to promote it. just download and follow the steps. it's hilariously fun and challenging but not hard
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:52 AM

View Postmikecheer101, on 13 Jun, 2009 - 09:43 PM, said:

ok so im trying to make a game and i need to learn java and some people on here arent giving me very good advice.what is the BEST site to learn java?

If you want to learn Java and start with programming, this would be one of the best sites for learning Java.

http://java.sun.com/...java/index.html
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:49 AM

There isn't a best Java learning site out there, there never really is one for any language. But you should be starting at the Sun Java site as linked above. The tutorials there are quite a good starting point.

I looked at your previous threads and I understand why you think the responses you have received so far have not been helpful or useful. Your end goal is to make a cheerleading game so you've been asking around on how to get started and make the game. It seems you are really enthusiastic about the game (that's true of most beginners who ask about turning their ideas into a real game).

But at the same time, you are not ready to make a game. There is so much you need to know and so much practice and experience you need before you can start successfully making a real fun game. The people who make these games have years of experience. They have been dedicating hours every day for years, before they can tackle a serious game. Even a smaller scale game requires months of experience. How many months have you been at programming? Weeks?

There's two aspects to programming. There's all the work on the computer itself. Opening up a commandline, compiling, etc. And then there's the mental work. You know how with math or any science you sit down and work out equations on pen and paper. Sometimes it's equations, and sometimes it's just design and logic and working out various things. But a lot of it is mental and pen and paper work. The difference is that there is no right answer. I can't just give you the answer, like an equation, tell you the secret code to type, and say that's it.

Your comments about needing good advice from nice people seem to be prompted by your Java thread. They were actually being quite nice, but everyone there realized how little you knew. They gave you instructions to type into the command prompt (the exact lines!) and you had trouble. You're struggling with downloading the right files. As an everyday computer user, you shouldn't have to know the details. As a computer programmer, you are practically required to know all those details.

It's depressing, but also realistic, to say that you need to slow down and learn slowly. You are not making your game on day 2.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:51 AM

@Oler1s :^: +1
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:57 AM

yea, he's right. i couldnt make my 5 star game until at least day 3.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:09 AM

@Oler1s & @staycrisp Yes, definitely +1. :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:58 AM

check out

www.javagaming.org

its a forum for java programmers. with all different degrees of experience.
The guys are all very helpful.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:45 AM

If you are completely new in programming, then you should not expect to create the next-gen MMORPG right now ;).
However, you could go to your local libary and find some books about java, there are a lot of great books at diffrent levels.
I think that a good book can be much better than a website, at least in the start... Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:46 AM

Have you checked the Java Tutorials here?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1