Game Programming Competition (6.11.09 to 8.8.09)

Game Institute - Challenge 12

• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 2189 Views - Last Post: 21 June 2009 - 05:26 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Game Programming Competition (6.11.09 to 8.8.09)

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:14 AM

Hi,
I've participated in several competitions at GI (www.gameinstitute.com) over the past two years. The prize is "prestige" and the motivation and excitement that comes from building a computer game.

The game may be 2D or 3D, use any language. Past entries used C++, C#, Flash, Java, and a few others. The programs could be played online or could be downloaded. The only caveat is the judges must be able to run and test your program. They don't need source code. The challenges are open to the public. Registration at the site is free. Here's the description.

Challenge 12
The game challenge has been created by GI students for GI students. TA's, instructors, and visitors to GI are invited to participate.

Objective: Design and develop a mindless blast anything game. Use graphics of your choice. Game may be 2D or a 3D version.

Judging and Scoring: Judging will be conducted by Jon Hoult and Drew Sikora (aka. Gaiiden). Scoring will be divided into four sections: programming skills (40%), game design (40%), resources (10%), and judge's bonus (10%). The two judges’ scores will be averaged together. [Drew is the editor over at www.gamedev.net and has lots of experience judging]

Most participants post threads detailing their game project development. You can see them here.

I've participated in 7 challenges over there. You can see my games here. If it wasn't for the competition, encouragement, and help from GI challenges I would not have learned game coding.

Let me know if you participate and tell them I said hello.

Regards,
Chuck

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Game Programming Competition (6.11.09 to 8.8.09)

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Game Programming Competition (6.11.09 to 8.8.09)

Posted 14 June 2009 - 01:44 PM

Hi Chuck,

Well, I did it! I created an account and entered myself into the competition. I have a few ideas on what I'm going to try but not entirely sure yet. BTW, are you entering in this competition and have you had any cool ideas?

Regards,

Jamie
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2009 - 02:14 PM

I have entered, might make a side scrolling platform shooter like contra :)

This post has been edited by stayscrisp: 14 June 2009 - 02:14 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:49 PM

@SixOfEleven,
Awesome! I'm not planning on entering this time. In fact, I'm trying my hand at a team project outside of competition pressure (8 weeks). My games always comes up short in the area of "engagement, interest, and fun". Sure I have all the bells and whistles, but the levels are usually rushed a couple days before the deadline. I'm hoping the 16 week project I'm working on with the team will actually be a game I will enjoy playing for some time. :

@staycrisp,
Side scrollers are cool! Definitely lots of potential for "mindless blast anything" game.

Remember the judges value game play over the quality of art and sound. Drew (Gaiiden) has posted some things that bothers him about games he judges. He's got very good insights.

Regards,
Chuck
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 June 2009 - 05:26 AM

I've decided on a space shooter for this one. I have a few ideas on what I'm planning on doing. Should be fun, well I hope. :D

Regards,

Jamie
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• His name was Robert Paulson.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:49 PM

Wait so this is a free contest and anyone can sign up? What is the prize?

I'm signing up definitely. Hopefully my "Current Unnamed Internetz" game will be done by then. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:32 PM

What is the prize?

The prize is "prestige" and the motivation and excitement that comes from building a computer game.

@papuccina1,
The deep satisfaction that arises from completing a game. :D

Good luck with this,
Chuck
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:36 PM

Have done a little work on this game challenge. Got a screen shot of the title page:

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:50 PM

Great screenshot!!!

I'm ready to test! :)

Regards,
Chuck
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:22 AM

I signed up, can't find any specific rules though for things like, if you can use existing game engines etc. I would like to use XNA since it has a 3d framework built into it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2009 - 05:45 AM

View Postchuckb, on 19 Jun, 2009 - 10:50 PM, said:

Great screenshot!!!

I'm ready to test! :)

Regards,
Chuck

No where near the testing phase yet. Just have the screen manager up and running.

Regards,

Jamie
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:28 AM

@mocker,
The rules are very loose. You are free to use XNA. You may ask specific questions here.

The purpose of the Game Challenges is to encourage people to actually create computer games. For every 1000 people expressing an interest in making games, only a few actually succeed in producing something that looks and feels like a game. Hopefully, the friendly competition will motivate more people to finish games.

Incidentally, a couple of guys who submitted entries used their games from the game challenges in their portfolios...and landed game programming jobs in the industry. One fellow is now a 'lead programmer' on some AAA games.

@SixOfEleven,
I would encourage you to start a thread in the game challenge forum at GI. You can post your framework and get others to test your code. They may be a bit more responsive to testing and providing feedback then at DIC. Just a suggestion. Did you happen to see the number of tank games over there? I counted three of them.

If our summer project is respectable by 8.22.09, with the team's permission, I might do an 11th hour game submission. :D That would be great fun...since I'm on a "sabbatical". Don't say anything to them. :D

Regards,
Chuck
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:32 PM

@ChuckB
I will be going over to the Game Institute shortly and I will be starting a thread and probably post what I have so far. I think I will look into starting a thread on Crystal Caverns there too. I might get a few nibbles for help there. I'm thinking of adding a page to my site for both games.

Been busy with my other project as well. There just seems too much to do. :lol: Have to divide my time well. I'll take a look at your latest demo and try and run it on my machine and see what it looks like and give you some feed back in your topic in the other forum.

Regards,

Jamie
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:59 PM

Sounds cool. I've entered. Might use my side-scroller engine for it.

'sgood seeing familiar names on there, too. Looking forward to seeing how I fare against you guys :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:14 PM

Hi,
It's good to see a few DIC folks participating over at GI. I'm a big believer in 'fresh blood'. There are some talented programmers over there. Each one is focused upon learning something. However, I see a lot of motivation and effort here at DIC so I'm certain this challenge will be "challenging". Competition is a great motivator.

The two judges are great. Their reviews of my projects in the past have been critical but objective. They see right past the smoke and mirrors and look for "fun, engaging, and originality". Each participant receives an Excel spreadsheet with scores and loads of comments. I've taken these to heart and have done my best to produce a better product.

One reason for taking the summer off from GI is to avoid the "contests". They're addicting. :D I figure with a little bit more time I can beef up my game engine that's nearly 18 months in the making. I'll return in the fall. :)

Good luck guys!

Regards,
Chuck
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +