Job Title

Who benefits?

Page 1 of 1

5 Replies - 759 Views - Last Post: 19 June 2009 - 08:27 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Job Title

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:02 PM

So I've been give the tile of Systems Analyst, but it doesn't seem I do anything like that. My tasks involve setting up users, ensuring data transfers, printing daily reports and fielding support calls. Is this title for my benefit or for the company's benefit?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Job Title

• Resident Curmudgeon

• View blog

Re: Job Title

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:16 PM

It depends - did you get a raise along with the title?

I used to be a "Systems Analyst". Where I worked, Systems Analysts and Programmers did exactly the same job. As far as I could tell, the only difference was that analysts were 2 pay grades higher. My theory was that the Programmer title only existed so that they could promote people to Systems Analyst, giving them the illusion of upward mobility.

Incidentally, at this same job, the network administrator's title was "Senior Systems Programmer", even though the only programming he did was automating backups and such. So the lesson is: depending on where you work, job titles don't necessarily have anything to do with your job.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:06 PM

I once promoted (internally) from Help Desk to Systems Analysis III, & just updating my resume on Monster & Career Builder, & I started getting all sorts of interviews. I think I only held the position for 6 months. So (in my experience) surely the key word (or recognizable) titles are surely a catalyst to getting a better jobs outside of the current employer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:38 AM

Yea, my title seems to convey both:

Applications Systems Analyst/Programmer, Associate

The big deal there is the associate part. The pay grade for us is based on level. By the time I retire I want Principal (the step above senior) but considering my age that may be a while.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:28 AM

Engineering Aide. Lame. Basically I get the engineers coffee ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:27 AM

Titles should give some idea of position within a company. But anyone who actually works in that company and has to deal with you will have a pretty good idea of where you stand in the scheme of things.

So the title has two real purposes. One is to impress outsiders, "Regional Sales Manager" will more often than not means a region the size of a page full of phone numbers. The other is to pacify the masses. There are no secretaries or garbage men anymore, they're all Administrative Assistants and Sanitation Engineers.

Even knowing this, people are still often impressed by titles. In some companies the difference between regular employee and supervisor is the addition of words like "Manager" or "Administrator".

My official title is "Database Administrator." This often impresses the suits who have no idea what it means, only that it has the appropriated buzz word. If I explain that I manage databases, not people, my standing goes down in the mind of middle management.

Most of the places I've been, titles seem to have more to do with politics than actually job description.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1