2 Replies - 1364 Views - Last Post: 04 May 2005 - 02:33 PM Rate Topic: -----

• humble.genius
  • member icon

• View blog

Enterprise PHP

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:21 AM

Hi Gang,

I'm in the early stages of feeling out the market for a book on, "Enterprise PHP." I'd love to get your thoughts on the need for something like this in the community:

http://www.robertpea...hy-Not-PHP.html

If you do post comments to the blog (yes, please) -- please also post them back to this discussion thread. Thanks! I look forward to your thoughts.

Best,
Robert

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Enterprise PHP

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Enterprise PHP

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:01 PM

Cross posted...

Would I buy the book? Yes...both for myself and others. I'd be extremely interested to see the case being made for the adoption of PHP for enterprise scale applications. I agree with your stance on most points that you've raised (I've not worked with PHP 5 to any great degree as of yet, so I can't really speak to it's new object model).

PHP has suffered image wise in the past because of some of the very things that make it great...easy accessibility/open source and mass adoption in recent years. Most notable is the idea that PHP coders are sloppy, and do not program to proper standards. While this is true to a certain degree, the same can be said of developers in other languages...proper standards are a result of learned style and direction, not a result of language. I shudder to think of some of the c and c++ code I've seen over the years.

If the arguments made in the book are well structured, the proposals well researched, then I'd think such an endeavour would stand a good chance of educating the naysayers regarding php's elevation to Enterprise solutions. It's certainly a direction worth exploring. Given the current views of those at the top, however, it would have to be pretty convincing.

With you at the helm, I've no doubt it will be.

Keep me apprised.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• humble.genius
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Enterprise PHP

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for you words of encouragement, Amadeus. I agree it's an ambitious undertaking yet the payoff seems potentially huge to the community. Points well taken that you can poorly implement design methodologies for any language. That said, I think PHP has suffered most (and unnecessarily so) because it has gained so much popularity so quickly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1