- XNA Game Studio 3.1 - the game development framework based on .NET for game development for Windows, Xbox 360 and Zune.
- Dark GDK Game Development Kit for Microsoft Visual C++ Thanks to some_kid
- Unity Game Development Tool (Thanks to lesPaul456)
- FlatRedBall Game Engine (Thanks to lesPaul456)
- Blender - a free, open-source, 3D design software. Useful for creating 3D models.
- Softimage Mod Tool - a free tool for creating 3D models. Supports exporting to XNA.
- Paint .NET - a simple graphics tool that will let you create basic textures and sprites.
- GIMP - a free, open-source, graphics tool that can be used for creating more complex textures and sprites.
- InkScape - a vector graphics editor. (thanks for mentioning this product to modi123_1)
- SpiralGraphics Tools - a set of tools for creating textures. (thanks to SixOfEleven)
- Anim8or - a free tool for 3D modelling (thnaks to stayscrisp)
- FMOD - a great utility to work on the sound for your games (link by chuckb)
- SDL Mixer - a free audio mixer library (link shared by stayscrisp)
- Linux Multimedia Studio - a free application to produce music and sound effects (link shared by [email protected])
- MaPZone - texturing tool (link by [email protected])
- Sprite Animating Tool Thanks to Hellbroth
- Alice - 3D Programming Environment (Thanks to NeoTifa)
- WavePad Sound Editor - Free Sound Editor with library of free sounds/music (Thanks to SixOfEleven)
- SCIRRA - Create games effortlessly (thanks to modi123_1)
- Craft Studio - Make games together with Craft Studio (thanks to modi123_1)
- Stencyl - Cross-platform game making software (thanks to modi123_1)
- Flixel - An open source game making library (thanks to modi123_1)
- ShoeBox - A sprite base drag-n-drop editor (thanks to renderhjs)
- DAZ Studio - Figure customization, posing, and animation tool (thanks to ¿serenity?)
- Fraps - Provides you with Frames Per Second(FPS) on any DirectX or OpenGL games / applications (thanks to Aaron1178)
- Cocos2d-x - A cross-platform tool chain (thanks to sparkart)
- CryEngine - The Cry Engine editor (thanks to XeVile)
- https://www.loomsdk.com/ How to
- libGDX Desktop/Android/BlackBerry/iOS/HTML5 Java game development framework
- KatsBits TGA Textures - some free textures in TGA format for your game.
- CG Textures - a huge collection of various textures. All textures are sorted into categories so it's easy to find exactly the one you need.
- TextureKing - also an extensive library of free textures for your game.
- texture lovers - a website with references to lots of different free textures for your game.
- Image * After - a library full of free images and textures.
- BackgroundLabs - a set of nice textures and backgrounds.
- VideoGameSprites - a library of simple 2D sprites.
- Spriters Resource (thanks to stayscrisp)
- Charas Project - a large collection of sprites (thanks to gabehabe)
- The People's Sprites - a great resource with free sprites (shared by gabehabe)
- Sprite Database - a large collection of free sprites (link by gabehabe)
- NES/SNES Sprites (link by gabehabe)
- RPG2000 - site in German (game resources - link by gabehabe)
- SpriteLib GPL (link by gabehabe)
- Last Guardian Sprites (link by SixOfEleven)
- Lost Garder - Some excellent sprites (thanks to Stayscrisp)
- DirectX SDK - The latest DirectX SDK release
- Open GL - The OpenGL official site for SDK releases
- Moai - An IOS and Android open source SDK (thanks to sparkart)
- Psionic3D - some free models for your game.
- 3DGuru - a collection of 3D models for non-commercial use.
- 3D Ocean - 3D models for purchase (thanks to Aaron1178)
- The 3D Model Store - Purchasable 3D models (thanks to the3dmodelstore)
- Nosoapradio.us - Music for your game (thanks to Stayscrisp)
- https://lmms.io/ or http://lmms.sourceforge.net/
- FreeSound (by Hellbroth)
- ZeldaSounds (by Hellbroth)
- PacDV Sounds - a large collection of free sounds (sorted by categories).
- SoundJay - a large set of free sounds (sorted by categories).
- Bfrx - Make sound effects for you game (thanks to Kilorn)
Sites With Mixed Resources (have different types of resources)
- DaFont - a resource with lots of free fonts (thanks to gabehabe)
- 1001 Free Fonts - again, a resource with lots of free fonts (mentioned by gabehabe)
- UrbanFonts - yet another free font resource (shared by gabehabe)
- Acid Fonts (shared by gabehabe)
- Font River (shared by VulcanDesign)
- Background HQ - a collection of game backgrounds (link by gabehabe)
Articles & Blogs
- Game Engine Anatomy 101 - A great article, found by Aaron1178
- 3D Total Games - Game theory and concept blog (thanks to modi123_1)
- Optimal convex decompositions - (thanks to Aaron1178)
- So you want to be a game developer, now what? - A great article found by Serapth
- Game Programming Patterns - common patterns. (found by modi123_1)
- A Software Architecture for Games
- Testing for Game Development
Documentations & Tutorials
- Fixel API Documentation - Flixel's official API documentation (thanks to modi123_1)
- Learn how to Flixel - A Flixel tutorial (thanks to modi123_1
- 40+ Fantastic Game Development Tutorials From Across the Web - Thanks to modi123_1
- Shadow Volume Tutorial - How to produce Shadow Volumes in 3D scenes (thanks to BBeck)
- GameDevelopment Tutorials - .tutsplus.com - Extensive list of Game Development tutorials (thanks to modi123_1)
- Les Forges Pixel Art Course - For anyone beginning spite making (thanks to evilyoshi)
- Rastertek - A great collection of DirectX10, DirectX11, OpenGL and other assortments of tutorials (thanks to Aaron1178)
- Building a simple yet powerful MMO game architecture - Part 1: Introduction
- Building a simple yet powerful MMO game architecture - 2: Gaming and Web integration
- Building a simple yet powerful MMO game architecture - Part 3: Capabilities and limitations
- Unity 5 and WebGL porting guide
- Real-Time Rendering, Third edition(Amazon Link) - A well versed book on Real-Time Rendering (thanks to Aaron1178)
- http://www.gamecareerguide.com/ - Career direction, understanding, etc
- http://www.gamasutra.com/ - crazy good blog on all things game dev related
If you have any other resources you would like to share, you are more than welcome to post them in this thread and we will add them to the list.
- 2015.02.07: dead links pruned, past entries updated, etc
This post has been edited by modi123_1: 27 July 2016 - 08:45 AM
Reason for edit:: updating resources