3 Replies - 1060 Views - Last Post: 05 January 2010 - 07:05 AM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Interested in Freelancing

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:02 PM

I am interested in freelancing contracts and was wondering if anyone has any information on what skill level you need to be to get started doing the low-end jobs. I looked around RentACoder and ScriptLance and everything on there that I saw looks to be a little out of my league. I'm still kind of a noob and right now I only know Java. I'm probably at the intermediate/getting to advanced level and after I'm done learning everything out of the current book I'm reading I'm planning on learning web design. I didn't see any but do people sometimes post jobs on any sites that are about needing help with homework? I only know of those two sites I listed earlier, does anyone know of any others? Thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Interested in Freelancing

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Interested in Freelancing

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:11 PM

The way I got started was looking for someone locally in your community that may be willing to take you on for a project but have limited funds. Look at the local non profit organizations or small community groups that may need a redone web site or could use an application to make something easier for them. Then ask them if they would like to take you on for a dirt cheap price.

This does two things, one it gives you the experience of working for a client and building up your skillset and two it provides you with work that you can put into a portfolio (along with recommendations) to help with landing bigger clients.

You may want to even do a pro bono project here and there for a great organization just for the experience and something to put in a portfolio. I did such projects for my university's student society, a local arts council group in the city, and a student employment center.

I didn't get paid much, but at least it built the skillset and gave me a leg up that I enjoy even today with a nice professional portfolio. Plus letters of recommendation I still carry from those groups.

Also being local you can meet face to face with them and get to know what they want. Much easier than trying to "guess" at what someone wants on the net. Especially when half of them try to scam you for free work.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:07 PM

View PostMartyr2, on 17 Jun, 2009 - 07:11 PM, said:

The way I got started was looking for someone locally in your community that may be willing to take you on for a project but have limited funds. Look at the local non profit organizations or small community groups that may need a redone web site or could use an application to make something easier for them. Then ask them if they would like to take you on for a dirt cheap price.

I've got some experience in website development by designing a website for my old school, a charity and my driving instructor. This has been good and I suppose it's a good way to get started.

The thing is, I'm a programmer, and have no problem being asked to write scripts or web based applications for use on a website BUT I struggle with the graphic/design part of a website. This is obviously quite important for potential clients who want a website.

How do you find out if an organisation needs an application written? A website is something many businesses want, even if they are not a 'technologically advanced', so it's much easier to gain experience in that area. How do you get hired for your programming skills rather than your graphic design skills (or lack thereof)? :blink:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:05 AM

I am interested in freelancing contracts and was wondering if anyone has any information on what skill level you need to be to get started doing the low-end jobs. I looked around RentACoder and ScriptLance and everything on there that I saw looks to be a little out of my league. I'm still kind of a noob and right now I only know Java. I'm probably at the intermediate/getting to advanced level and after I'm done learning everything out of the current book I'm reading I'm planning on learning web design. I didn't see any but do people sometimes post jobs on any sites that are about needing help with homework? I only know of those two sites I listed earlier, does anyone know of any others? Thanks.

Hi,

Both of these websites are known online marketplace for freelancing work but clients of these websites select project holder coders due to satisfaction and you haven’t even advance level skills. I am suggesting you Servana (signature), hopefully you will get lots of freelance business from there and earn lot of money.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1