Set up a license that expires

I want my program to stop working after 1 year

Page 1 of 1

6 Replies - 3266 Views - Last Post: 24 November 2009 - 12:28 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Set up a license that expires

Post icon  Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:25 AM

Hey guys,

We plan on selling an application that I've made and we want to be able to force the user to buy a 1-year license for it. And of course after that 1-year we want the program to stop working and force the user to purchase another license.

I've seen many things in VB.NET with certificates/licensing but I'm just not familiar with them to be able to take it any further. And right now I don't have the labor to spend hours messing around with it.

Has anyone had experience doing this?

Thanks in advance!

Eworm

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Set up a license that expires

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Set up a license that expires

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:31 AM

To elaborate on this a little more:

Ideally we would like to be able to send out an email to the users with their new key-code that they can enter when logged in as an administrator that will reactivate the software.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:39 AM

View Posteworm, on 19 Jun, 2009 - 09:25 AM, said:

Hey guys,

We plan on selling an application that I've made and we want to be able to force the user to buy a 1-year license for it. And of course after that 1-year we want the program to stop working and force the user to purchase another license.

I've seen many things in VB.NET with certificates/licensing but I'm just not familiar with them to be able to take it any further. And right now I don't have the labor to spend hours messing around with it.

Has anyone had experience doing this?

Thanks in advance!

Eworm

I'am personally not that good with that part but check out this tutorial from DIC. It is actually about adding a tril period and I figure you might get an idea from it! http://www.dreaminco...wtopic65721.htm
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:36 PM

Keep in mind that without protecting your application further, this is useless. People can use tools such as Red Gate's .NET Reflector to completely dig into your actual program's code and disable the trial protection. This can be prevented a little by encrypting it with something such as NETZ. Even stronger is Themida but I haven't had luck with .net applications, even though they claim that it works. So be careful, your program will never be secure.

This post has been edited by tension: 19 June 2009 - 12:37 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Guest_ghimangi*

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:14 AM

You can use a licensing system which supports trial or subscription based licenses such as CryptoLicensing (http://www.ssware.co...censing_net.htm). You can then generate licenses which expire after 1 year and when expired, your users will pay for another year and then you will generate a new code expiring in 1 more year and send it to the user.

This post has been edited by ghimangi: 23 November 2009 - 03:15 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:41 PM

well, your question has been answered by the above, but just a small question, out of curiosity, what kind of program is it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 November 2009 - 12:28 AM

thanks for the idea
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1