2 Replies - 2039 Views - Last Post: 23 June 2009 - 07:50 PM

• sudo apt-get install brain
  • member icon

• View blog

How to make a Linux software package

Posted 19 June 2009 - 03:03 PM

I was wondering how to make a Linux software package? Things like a .deb archive that can be installed or something of that nature.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to make a Linux software package

• Resident Curmudgeon

• View blog

Re: How to make a Linux software package

Posted 19 June 2009 - 04:49 PM

It depends on what kind of package you're trying to build and the kind of application you're packaging. Just find a packaging guide for the distribution or package format you're working with. Generally, all you really need to do are get the right packaging tools, figure out how to write the metadata file, and know how to build the application you're packaging. It might seem complicated at first, but t's generally not that hard once you get the hang of it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to make a Linux software package

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:50 PM

Well the hackish way is to write a Makefile and then use checkinstall (here is a tutorial I wrote on this last year). I don't think this will fly if you want to get your package into the Debian/Ubuntu repos though.

Here is a tutorial on how to make DEBs the proper way.

Here is a tutorial on creating RPMs.

Also you should be able to open DEB/RPM files and look around (they're basically TAR files), I think most archive programs can open them. Everything inside is just text so if you get stuck just find a small package and work backwards.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1