4 Replies - 807 Views - Last Post: 23 June 2009 - 10:15 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Education and Careers

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:13 PM

Firstly Iíd like to say itís late and Iím quite tired, so sorry for the following ramble and bad grammar.

Some background:
Iím currently very young, 14 that is. I started programming probably around 3 years ago by now, Itís been quite the road and as I sit here writing I donít know where to start. Somehow I got all the way from aspiring to make the next mmorpg in Java, to very strongly studying the language of PHP and freelancing web design. Of course there were languages in between that, C, C++ and a bunch of others.

Now, to the main subject: Education and Career Paths.

I hope to have a very bright future. Iím currently in the top tenth percentile in my graduating class, have some of the highest standards scores in the state and breeze by with a 3.75+. I already have quite the portfolio under my belt already and am actually very social. I really donít know much about what colleges there are for the programming industry, or what would benefit me the most. What are some recommendations? What are each known for?
Of course at this age I donít have a very specific career path I want to follow, there are just so many. The main things Iím looking for is an active career, one that would provide me very well financially, and one that wouldnít be wasteful as to my potential.

One of the main problems I have is, should I really try to pursue a full time job programming? Or should I follow some other ambition and keep programming as a side job? What would be more stable? Which would provide better jobs and money? What are the benefits of programming full time? What are the downsides of it?
How could staying with web development benefit me? What could I do to better my potentials?

What are some careers I should look into? What are some colleges I should look into?

Anything else youíd like to include in your reply that you think might benefit me would of course make me very thankful.

I probably left this way to general, but would appreciate any insight you could give me,
Thanks.

And Iíll probably be writing more later on, I meant for this to be a very well detailed post, Iím just too tired.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Education and Careers

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Education and Careers

Posted 20 June 2009 - 07:41 AM

You have a lot of experience and at a young age too. Use this for your advantage. As for your career path, as long as you love your work and have passion about it, you will have no problem finding and keeping a job. The world of computers has just begun, you never know what the future will hold and what new technology will be invented. Stick with this and you could be the one creating the next big thing. :)

As for your concerns about jobs as a programmer, they are out there and waiting. By the time you graduate college (Maybe even High School) the job market will have picked up by then and you will be well on your way to a career that you absolutely enjoy. Web development is always on demand, we will always need web developers as everyone strives to have the best website out there.

If you're looking for a solid career, while you're in college look and see if the college offers certifications. You can get certified in just about anything and I'm sure there is a certification that is right for you.

I myself am for a MCPD (Microsoft Certified Professional Developer). I goofed off in HS and didn't care, you're doing the right thing by being the best you can and making it worth while.

As long as you stick with what you're passionate about, you will be fine. I don't know if this helps you much but that it doesn't hurt to try.

Keep up the awesome work, you will be fine.

~Camo
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:25 PM

To be honest, I'm working as an engineering aide. My degree I'm going for is in computer engineering, but guess what kind of engineer I work under? Electrical. And the rest of my team is either electrical or mechanical. But, I still program (not doing any free lance). It's possible to work at a different job than your major or desire, as long as they are loosely related. If you only want to program on the side, then fine. Go for it. Just when you make your career path, make it something similar or technical, so your mind stays sharp. If you're doing something like ... fashion design against your computer science sidejob it's gonna kinda clash lol. Unless of course you make some kind of sweet program to help the designers make their stuff. You could really apply computer science to everything. In order to make a program about it, you have to be at least a little knoledgable of the field you're making the program for. So, to sum it up, I would prefer to stick to something related, but computer science is very versitile, so you can get away with it.

About the colleges, it doesn't really matter. Ivey league > 4 year > community college. Keep that in mind. Scope out alumni's experiences with that college in the particular field you're going to. Don't buy into the brochures and the web sites. They lie. The cake is a lie. ... >_>
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:29 AM

just dont get fooled into going to some crappy school for game design or something if you still are interested in that. Devry, ITT Tech, full sail and schools like that, are a waste. they cost an insane amount of money and the degree is meaningless to most people. ask ur school councilors,they should have college information for you. they should be able to give you some good options to look at.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:15 AM

View Postbflosabre91, on 23 Jun, 2009 - 06:29 AM, said:

just dont get fooled into going to some crappy school for game design or something if you still are interested in that. Devry, ITT Tech, full sail and schools like that, are a waste. they cost an insane amount of money and the degree is meaningless to most people. ask ur school councilors,they should have college information for you. they should be able to give you some good options to look at.

Actually I heard those were quite sweet. I would only go there as a last resort though. Big fan of 4 year schools. And counselors are not always the brightest person. Mine kept trying to force me to go to the cheap community college in the ghetto. She like forced it on me. Jeebus.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1