5 Replies - 1565 Views - Last Post: 12 May 2005 - 06:58 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Code Required

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:31 AM

Back in the day when the online warez scene started, you had to click on sponsor links to gain access to the sites.

I was wondering if it was possible to create a similiar system in PHP?

Before I get banned, its NOT for a warez site.

I have a phpbb based forum and I was wondering if it was possible to implement a system where if the user wanted to send a private msg he/she would have to click on a sponser's link/image before being allowed to continue.

I dont know if this is possible or not, but its something that just came to mind.

If it IS possible and involves a bit of work I am willing to pay for it.

Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Code Required

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Code Required

Posted 11 May 2005 - 08:13 AM

It is possible, in a number of ways...the way you choose would depend on how your site is set up now. Can only logged in members send messages? Are you already using cookies and/or session variables?

There would be some work involved (the amount would depend on your current setup).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2005 - 08:45 AM

Amadeus, on May 11 2005, 08:13 AM, said:

It is possible, in a number of ways...the way you choose would depend on how your site is set up now. Can only logged in members send messages? Are you already using cookies and/or session variables?

There would be some work involved (the amount would depend on your current setup).

Yes only logged in users can send private messages and we only use cookies at the moment.

Any ideas?

And could it easily be integrated with the forum?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2005 - 06:39 PM

I might be tempted to try writing a javascript function to do it...you can go with one of two ideas

1. A function that checked to see if a cookie existed indicating the user had clicked on a sponsor ad...if so, let them send a message. If not, write them a message. Another javascript to write to a cookie when they do click on a sponsor ad.

2. A user clicks a button to send a message, and the onclick property takes them to a page that has a sponsor ad, message says click here to continue. When the ad is clicked, a function does two things...first, it would launch a child window to the sponsor site, second, the parent window would continue with the message functionality.

Either one would be pretty easy to implement.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2005 - 06:11 AM

2nd idea sounds like what I was thinking of.

But would it be stopped by the 'block pop-up' property of browsers and such?

and could you make such a code?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 May 2005 - 06:58 AM

Yes, the popups could be stopped by a browser's blocking capability...it depends how robust the blocker is, or what it's settings are. Many block popups that go to a URL external to the current site...this can be mitigated by having the parent window go to the sponsor site, and the popup continue the message functionality. There are also many other ways to combat blocker add-ins.

As to whether I could write the code...if you're asking if I have the requisite knowledge and skill set, then yes, I do...if you're asking if I'd actually do it (for money or otherwise), then I'm afraid I must decline (although I thank you for the offer). My own belief (and I'm not saying anything about anyone else, just me) is that people should be able to decide for themselves if they wish to view ads, whether the answer is not using the message capability, blocking the ads, or leaving the site. I won't help circumvent that right.

Please be assured that I'm not advocating that a particular course of action is right or wrong...merely my own view.

You should be able to easily find someone to program that for you, however, it is fairly simple functionality. There are several sites dedicated to obtaining programming resources...there is even a 'Job Offers' section of this site where you may wish to try your luck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1