starting GUIs, differences between forms and wpf

help with a roadmap to starting .net gui development

Page 1 of 1

5 Replies - 3905 Views - Last Post: 20 November 2009 - 04:50 AM Rate Topic: -----

• GAME OVER. NERD WINS.
  • member icon

• View blog

starting GUIs, differences between forms and wpf

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:52 PM

Okay, so I'm starting .net development with C# and I hear you do a lot of stuff with GUIs. I know there's 2 technologies involved, windows forms and wpf. How do they compare? does one build on the other, or are they separate? how will my learning road map for .net gui development as a whole go?

thanks guys! :D

This post has been edited by crazyjugglerdrummer: 23 June 2009 - 05:54 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: starting GUIs, differences between forms and wpf

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: starting GUIs, differences between forms and wpf

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:55 PM

Win Forms and WPF are very different technologies. They both use different classes for drawing, presentation and controls. WPF is a set up from traditional win form applications.

Win Forms are your traditional GUI windows. I use them most. (When I'm not game programming that is. :) )

WPF are used for making Vista style applications. You have more control over the form, in my opinion. I have only tried a few of these applications but I like them.

Hopefully others can give you better insight. Good luck with C#!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 僕わ馬鹿ですね?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:36 PM

View PostSixOfEleven, on 23 Jun, 2009 - 07:55 PM, said:

Win Forms and WPF are very different technologies. They both use different classes for drawing, presentation and controls. WPF is a set up from traditional win form applications.

Win Forms are your traditional GUI windows. I use them most. (When I'm not game programming that is. :) )

WPF are used for making Vista style applications. You have more control over the form, in my opinion. I have only tried a few of these applications but I like them.

Hopefully others can give you better insight. Good luck with C#!

well only in some cases With .Net4.0 and Control Libs WinForms can look something like wpf
take telerik For an example thay do WPF and WinForms and thay look vary similar to each other in my opinion
but thats me
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:14 PM

thanks for information guys.
I'm currently learning Win Forms for my GUI..
As earlier said me too not a game programmer to use WPFs
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:22 AM

wpf isnt for game programming. It would be easier to make a simple game in wpf than in windows forms, but wpf is still for creating desktop applications. the whole thing of wpf is that it helps you create nicer looking applications much easier than in winforms. And the ability to use vector graphics, control styles and templates allow u the ability to have an application that is not resolution specific. The actual programming in WPF and winforms is really similar, but when creating the GUI, it becomes very different.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:50 AM

We use WPF at work - I love it. It does have it's draw backs and I think you must use it with care - some people slap animations and bitmap effects everywhere and it will grind lower systems to a halt if you do that, but in terms of creating a great UI I love it. Be warned that some technologies just do not work well with WPF though - for example flash.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1