Simple Animation using win32 API

Suggestions for functions to look at to begin simple animation

Page 1 of 1

5 Replies - 3871 Views - Last Post: 01 July 2009 - 05:22 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Simple Animation using win32 API

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:46 PM

I am doing a project for my senior design class and am not sure where to begin with one of the last things I have to do for my project. Currently I have been programming in mostly all C, and some C++ to deal with strings. My program builds an application using the win32 API strictly windows.h, no MFC or any other supporting libararies... I have built the entire application and basically it has a search field where an ID number is entered into an edit box. Once a button is pressed, the id number is used to obtain information from a MySQL database and several static labels, one list box, and two images are loaded into the correct places in the GUI. All of this seems to work pretty well.

Now I have information in the listbox as it is being loaded if one item is a certain value I want to flash a message on the bottom of the GUI and have it blink and possibly play a sound over and over again until another item is searched.

I am not asking for code but direction to functions that I would need to use to make this happen. I figured I would need some timer function but have not found much luck figuring out which ones I would need. I could just be over looking a function in the MSDN but I don't know where to begin. Any suggestions would be great.

Please do not comment on why did you just use the win32 API or why didn't you use MFC or why use MySQL, these choices were made to challange myself as a programmer and to help me learn while I developed the application.

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Simple Animation using win32 API

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Simple Animation using win32 API

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:18 PM

blinking umm..i dont think you need a function for that. and if msdn has a blinking function thats a little weird lol

the blinking message, swap it with " " string value and "Blinking Text" string value with a timer to create the animation effect

and for sounds, i hear fmod is what people use with winapi most, but i dono
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:07 AM

U can build a function that makes the label visible and not visible with lets say 500-1000 ms delay until the event u want it done.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:33 AM

google openGL if you want to get into graphics programming
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:10 PM

View PostCha0sBG, on 25 Jun, 2009 - 12:07 AM, said:

U can build a function that makes the label visible and not visible with lets say 500-1000 ms delay until the event u want it done.

I was thinking about doing something like that. However I don't want to sit in a while loop. I was looking for what are the timer functions in the win32 api... I am having a hard time finding them.

View PostImaSexy, on 25 Jun, 2009 - 07:33 AM, said:

google openGL if you want to get into graphics programming

Looking into openGL would probably require me to redo my entire program. I already have all of the GUI done, and blinking text seems like it would be easier to do with a timer and some kind of interupt, however I can't seem to find much information on the subject when using the win32 API. Also openGL is not something I can use in my design because it was not learned in my entire degree, we have to stick to things that were used and learned throughout the semesters.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 July 2009 - 05:22 PM

View Postmblazek, on 1 Jul, 2009 - 06:10 PM, said:

I was thinking about doing something like that. However I don't want to sit in a while loop. I was looking for what are the timer functions in the win32 api... I am having a hard time finding them.

SetTimer is one such function.

This post has been edited by perfectly.insane: 01 July 2009 - 05:24 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1