Restrictions and such?

Page 1 of 1

5 Replies - 1189 Views - Last Post: 28 June 2009 - 05:15 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Game Engines?

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:32 PM

Hello Dream in Code members,

I used to program in C++ and I would say I was beginner - intermediate, but I stopped for various reasons. Since then, I have become fed up with the gaming industry's paradigms that keep gamers content without an significant new game play content. Tabula Rasa tried, but it was assassinated :) So here I am - the knight in shining armor come to save the world from inevitable boredom (aka n00b) and I want to get started programming games. I don't need help learning C++, because I already have enough resources to catch up on everything I forgot and learn more on top of that. What I really need is to build up a game that is above average in game play even if its graphics suck. (Example: RPGWO.com) I want to start with a single player RTS game. 2D is fine, but I would prefer to start with 3D because I would think the path finding would be significantly different. Any suggestions for reading material would be helpful. I would like to use DirectX because of the graphics capabilities. I have no grudge against OpenGL, and whatever I would come up with would not utilize the full capabilities of neither DirectX nor OpenGL, but I like having extra room for expansion rather than reaching the limits and then wishing I went with something less restricting. Which brings me to the point...

My biggest question is if I should use a game engine or not. Although I would love to create a game from start to finish, I don't think it would be much harder to stick with the project. On the other hand, I don't want to shoot off using a game engine and then find that I end up severely restricted to the point of starting over. I would not mind if I could use a game engine to write down the basic game mechanics, then write my own code to replace the engine little by little until I'm independent of the engine. In order to have the ability to expand indefinitely should I start from scratch, or using a particular game engine?

Cheers,

Misha

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Game Engines?

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Game Engines?

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:19 PM

Hello yourself Mishaparem :)

There are a lot of options when it comes to game engines, some do all the work for you and some can just speed up the process of making a game. I think the latter is most likely what you need to use.

I recommend that you use the Irrlicht Engine, it is cross platform, open source, extremely powerful and written in C++.

An engine like Irrlicht will not limit you in any way, it will simply speed up the more programming intensive functions, some graphics rendering is extremely advanced and requires a lot of work and understanding to get right. In other words this engine is what you would create if you were to write your own 3D engine.

This engine still requires a lot of knowledge of C++ and game programming but it speeds up the process by giving you pre-written functions for a lot of excellent graphical effects.

I hope this helps :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 June 2009 - 05:20 PM

You sound like you're more interested in making games than making engines, so pick one and start playing around.

http://en.wikipedia....of_game_engines
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:52 PM

Irrlicht and SFML are ones I would recommend to you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 June 2009 - 11:22 AM

View Postmishaparem, on 25 Jun, 2009 - 12:32 PM, said:

Hello Dream in Code members,

I used to program in C++ and I would say I was beginner - intermediate, but I stopped for various reasons. Since then, I have become fed up with the gaming industry's paradigms that keep gamers content without an significant new game play content. Tabula Rasa tried, but it was assassinated :) ...

Yeah, be careful because new and different doesn't always mean good. I studied game design itself before I got into designing the engines and hefty programming, I think it's important to know. Making a fun game is the top priority in learning, I think.

View Postmishaparem, on 25 Jun, 2009 - 12:32 PM, said:

...I have no grudge against OpenGL, and whatever I would come up with would not utilize the full capabilities of neither DirectX nor OpenGL, but I like having extra room for expansion rather than reaching the limits and then wishing I went with something less restricting. Which brings me to the point...

OpenGL is more expandable.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 27 June 2009 - 11:23 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:15 PM

The SFML library allows you to write OpenGL directly.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1