Just a question not a _flamewar_ thread

• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 2016 Views - Last Post: 29 June 2009 - 11:00 AM Rate Topic: -----

• En man från Sverige!

• View blog

C# the future in gamedevelopment?

Posted 28 June 2009 - 04:58 PM

An acquaintance of mine has said that DirectX11 will be optimized for C# and very difficult to use with C++, is this a rumor or is there any facts to support this?
If it is true perhaps I should take time and start learning C#?
Feel free to recomment good C# books / websites with useful reading in the case my friend is right.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: C# the future in gamedevelopment?

• GAME OVER. NERD WINS.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: C# the future in gamedevelopment?

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:07 PM

I don't know much about DX11 yet, but some reasons C++ was the main game dev language was speed and popularity (and there weren't tons of other choices). C# is a teensy bit slower, but is definitely popular. MS seems to be pushing it a lot as a desktop, web, and game language, in all of the .net stuff and Xna. I can see it becoming bigger in the game industry. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• En man från Sverige!

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:20 PM

View Postcrazyjugglerdrummer, on 29 Jun, 2009 - 12:07 AM, said:

I don't know much about DX11 yet, but some reasons C++ was the main game dev language was speed and popularity (and there weren't tons of other choices). C# is a teensy bit slower, but is definitely popular. MS seems to be pushing it a lot as a desktop, web, and game language, in all of the .net stuff and Xna. I can see it becoming bigger in the game industry. :D

I dont know anything about C# so is it portable to say linux or Macintosh?
I hope C++ will get a fair change to use DX11 :[
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:49 PM

I don't think that C# is nearing practical game dev for AAA titles.

C++ is faster and using C# will leave them one step backwards, when the industry is constantly trying to achieve new technology for graphics eyecandy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2009 - 06:29 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX ... Look at the first word of the article
http://en.wikipedia....mming_language) ... Look at the little box off to the right next to "Designed by:"

It wouldn't surprise me that Microsoft would 'force' developers to use C# to utilize DirectX (Easily).

I don't blame them, both are their technologies, however IMO this will have a negative effect with Game Developers and we'll probably see more games written in C++ and using OpenGL instead.

After all, developers can be stubborn people, if they feel like they are being forced to learn something new. They'll go out of their way to not do it...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• En man från Sverige!

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2009 - 06:52 PM

True there is their technology but they should be happy that many programmers can use their tech and not force the people to change.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:41 PM

View PostFrozenSnake, on 28 Jun, 2009 - 05:52 PM, said:

True there is their technology but they should be happy that many programmers can use their tech and not force the people to change.

How else would they make money? :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• En man från Sverige!

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:51 PM

View Poste_barroga, on 29 Jun, 2009 - 02:41 AM, said:

It's free to use DX and C#?
Does it cost if you use it for commercial products?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:02 PM

View PostFrozenSnake, on 28 Jun, 2009 - 06:51 PM, said:

View Poste_barroga, on 29 Jun, 2009 - 02:41 AM, said:

It's free to use DX and C#?
Does it cost if you use it for commercial products?

Let me make it easier for you to understand.

What is Microsoft's main goal? To develop OS (Windows).

How do you get more people to buy Windows?

By tying everything to the product you want to sell.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• En man från Sverige!

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:17 PM

Got this reply from xnas forum

"D3D will not stop to be native only any time soon." and a link to http://msdn.microsof...043(VS.85).aspx
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:20 PM

View PostFrozenSnake, on 28 Jun, 2009 - 07:17 PM, said:

Got this reply from xnas forum

"D3D will not stop to be native only any time soon." and a link to http://msdn.microsof...043(VS.85).aspx

Nevermind, you're missing the point.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:26 PM

C# with either DirectX or the XNA Framework is an excellent product for developing games. There are a few problems that companies that use C++ will not want to convert their code to write Windows games. The biggest is that since C# uses the .NET Framework looking into the company's code is easier than with a native language like C++. Reverse engineering is easier and there are dissamblers out there to do this. There are ways around this of course but why would you bother when it is easier just to write the game in C++. C# is still, technically, in it's infancy. Not sure how many will remember this, but when Windows 95/98 first came out it took a while for companies to start writing games for it. They didn't want to give up sole possession of the operating system. If I remember correctly the same was true when .NET first came out. There were many nice bells and whistles but it took time for it to catch on. As Microsoft continues to improve .NET and DirectX/XNA perhaps we will see more big game studios turning to it.

This is just my opinion though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• En man från Sverige!

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:35 PM

View PostSixOfEleven, on 29 Jun, 2009 - 03:26 AM, said:

C# with either DirectX or the XNA Framework is an excellent product for developing games. There are a few problems that companies that use C++ will not want to convert their code to write Windows games. The biggest is that since C# uses the .NET Framework looking into the company's code is easier than with a native language like C++. Reverse engineering is easier and there are dissamblers out there to do this. There are ways around this of course but why would you bother when it is easier just to write the game in C++. C# is still, technically, in it's infancy. Not sure how many will remember this, but when Windows 95/98 first came out it took a while for companies to start writing games for it. They didn't want to give up sole possession of the operating system. If I remember correctly the same was true when .NET first came out. There were many nice bells and whistles but it took time for it to catch on. As Microsoft continues to improve .NET and DirectX/XNA perhaps we will see more big game studios turning to it.

This is just my opinion though.

Nice reply but I hope big libraries like DX will be available for more then one language in the future. I don't mind learning C++ and C# but I wanna focus on the main language used in game development at the moment and I believe that is C++. But if its about to change I should focus on the new "number one". But I guess I can stick with C++ for a while longer :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:00 PM

View PostFrozenSnake, on 28 Jun, 2009 - 09:35 PM, said:

Nice reply but I hope big libraries like DX will be available for more then one language in the future. I don't mind learning C++ and C# but I wanna focus on the main language used in game development at the moment and I believe that is C++. But if its about to change I should focus on the new "number one". But I guess I can stick with C++ for a while longer :)

DirectX is available for C# already, has been for years. XNA is a wrapper to make working with DirectX easier. I believe even Java can be used for DirectX. I also know that you can use VB.NET with DirectX.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2009 - 02:21 AM

C++ and C# are very similar in syntax so learning one will definitely benefit you when switching to another.

The best thing to do is to focus on your games not the language they are written in. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +