2 Replies - 343 Views - Last Post: 30 June 2009 - 10:49 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hi Everyone!

Post icon  Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:15 AM

Hi Everyone my name is Dara. I really feel a little out of place on this site because I am truly a novice. My background is marketing, but I have recently put my two loves of entrepreneurship and marketing together in a web based business I am in the process of creating. The problem for me has been my lack of knowledge in the Programming, Web Design, MySQL, and everything else in the computer world that I need to know. I am reading and studying quit a bit hoping that it will stick. I have joined dream.in.code to learn from the experts in the fields I know I need assistance.

In reviewing the site I feel the sense of community, and am excited about learning and hopefully sharing (one day) the knowledge I have learned.

What I have been trying to accomplish:

1. A database driven website. I have MySQL admin program through my hosting company. I have never used MySQL so I am trying to learn everything I possibly can. I have purchased video tutorials, and researched tutorials online. I need to be able to create a database that I can include 39 categories for users to choose from, and also 15-25 options within the category that they can select from prior to the results showing on the webpage. I was able to create the form I wanted to use through access, but am having a difficult time importing into the MySQL database. Also, have no idea how to recreate it in MySQL.
2. Also, I need to be able to create a template based form that I can create ads. That includes background, graphic, bullet points, and hyperlink. This has been the most difficult in my research because I have no idea what this type of application is called in the industry. If I research templates or ad development my results are all pre-made ads.

Any help or expertise that anyone can extend will be greatly appreciated. I look forward to chatting more and learning more from everyone.
Have a great day!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hi Everyone!

• Everybody's crazy but me!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hi Everyone!

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:48 AM

Hello Dara. Welcome to Dream.In.Code!

I won't lie, learning programming is difficult for most people, especially at first. But you seem to be pretty intelligent and resourceful, so I think you'll pick it up fairly quickly.

If you have specific questions, you can post them in the Databases forum, but that forum is not as frequently visited as some of the others (like the C++ forum) so it may take a day or two to get your answer. However, whatever your question, I'm sure there is someone here at this site who knows the answer!

So go ahead and post your questions, along with the code you've tried in an attempt to solve the problem yourself, use the code tags that are provided, and be as descriptive as possible. I'm sure someone will be able to help you!
//maybe even me...I don't know much but whatever I do know I'm willing to share with you!

Good luck!
:D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hi Everyone!

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:49 AM

Welcome to Dream.In.Code

Thanks for joining Dream.In.Code, hope to see you around the forums someday :)

You have just stepped into the greatest programming community on the Internet, we have experts for just about every mainstream language, and even some languages that aren't so mainstream, so the level of expertise is second to none. All will be more than willing to help, as long as you too are willing to put forth the effort to solve your problem, and to go along the road to becoming a better programmer smile.gif

I would like to ask that when making a programming question that you first place your code inside code tags like this :code: . This makes it much easier to read through large pieces of code, and keeps your post a little more organized.

When posting a programming question first make sure you're in the first forum, then make sure you provide as much information as you can think of that would make it easier for a 2nd pair of eyes to help you debug your issue.

If you happen to get bored (I know, it's real hard to do here) you can check out our Off Topic Caafeine Lounge, the Corner Cubical, dedicated to industry talk, or the Student Campus, dedicated to all things for students.

If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact myself or another staff member, and we will be more then happy to answer any questions you might have.

-Richard
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1