Simple Website issue I need help with.

Fowarding a URL with godaddy.

Page 1 of 1

5 Replies - 665 Views - Last Post: 02 July 2009 - 07:23 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Simple Website issue I need help with.

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:37 PM

Okay, I dont really have a code to show but here is the situation. I have purchased a domain from godaddy. I have another company that I used that built my website for me that is actually hosting it. The changes that I make on the website I go through the other company and not godaddy. I just used godaddy to just have the name of the website i wanted. So anyway, I wrote in code on all of my pages to have the marquee or scrolling text on the head of the page. Well, when I foward using masked, it doesnt scroll. So I called tech support they said to just unmask it. I did, and now the company that built my site has their name on the url address. Which is what I want NOT to do. I hope I am clear about what I am trying to put across. If not then I will put it this way.

www.shavkeytravel.com is what I want to have
when unmasked and fowarded, the url loads to say shavkeytravel.vacationport.net
I dont want to show the vacationport.net
When I mask, it shows up as shavkeytravel.com but no scrolling marquee on the head of the page. Need help please. :crazy:

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Simple Website issue I need help with.

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Simple Website issue I need help with.

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:45 PM

No scrolling marquee in the head of the page? You mean the title?

That's because of the type of redirection option your using with Godaddy. Godaddy is only redirecting the domain name to shavkeytravel.vacationport.net in a single frame with a static page title. Not the page title that is set inside the html file.

See if you can add vacationport.net's name servers into your Godaddy domain.

This post has been edited by jakczuhang: 02 July 2009 - 06:47 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:50 PM

Couldn't you just set your NS records on the godaddy account for the domain to point to the webhost where the site resides?

That's what I would do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:06 PM

I would definitely LOVE to try everything I can think of. The thing is, I dont know how to do that within godaddy. Ive looked everywhere and to be honest, I dont know anything about the DNS control or anything. I am trying to read around to get ideas and do a quick learn but its something that im not a pro at. I can do simple html but thats it. I like both ideas. I am willing to try anything that works to be honest. If any of you have the time to, not necessarily walk me through but show me where to look and what i am looking for.. Im sorry I am a newbie. I just dont want anyone knowing the vacationport.net thing because EVERYONE and their mother with a travel company has this same product.

View Postjakczuhang, on 2 Jul, 2009 - 05:45 PM, said:

No scrolling marquee in the head of the page? You mean the title?

That's because of the type of redirection option your using with Godaddy. Godaddy is only redirecting the domain name to shavkeytravel.vacationport.net in a single frame with a static page title. Not the page title that is set inside the html file.

See if you can add vacationport.net's name servers into your Godaddy domain.

Yes, I mean the title. The VERY top of the page where the internet explorer name is as wel.

View Postno2pencil, on 2 Jul, 2009 - 05:50 PM, said:

Couldn't you just set your NS records on the godaddy account for the domain to point to the webhost where the site resides?

That's what I would do.

I honestly wouldnt know where to begin... Sounds like it could work. Willing to do the work to find out.

View Postno2pencil, on 2 Jul, 2009 - 05:50 PM, said:

That's what I would do.

I take that back. There are 2 NS on here already. Its required to have when you forward. Maybe not the right one?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:08 PM

All you need to do is check with your webhost provider, either they have an FAQ page, or call customer support, & ask them what their nameservers are.

Then log onto your godaddy account, select domains & when you are viewing your domain list, check the domain you wish to edit :

Attached Image

Then click nameservers, & you'll get a popup box to enter the nameservers addresses.

Attached Image

Then simply wait while they propagate.

If you are not comfortable doing this, you could always call godaddy, I'm sure they would assist you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:23 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 2 Jul, 2009 - 06:08 PM, said:

All you need to do is check with your webhost provider, either they have an FAQ page, or call customer support, & ask them what their nameservers are.

Then log onto your godaddy account, select domains & when you are viewing your domain list, check the domain you wish to edit :

Attachment attachment

Then click nameservers, & you'll get a popup box to enter the nameservers addresses.

Attachment attachment

Then simply wait while they propagate.

If you are not comfortable doing this, you could always call godaddy, I'm sure they would assist you.

I found that info. Will let you know if it works or not!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1