10 Replies - 3019 Views - Last Post: 05 July 2009 - 07:51 PM

#1 jakczuhang  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 34
  • Joined: 02-July 09

Review my site: 1cup1coffee.com

Posted 02 July 2009 - 11:28 PM

Sup everyone. Made this site about a year and a half ago (made many updates in between of course) for kids (including myself.. at the time) to play games in school..

Rip it down with criticism please.. no I'm serious.

http://1cup1coffee.com


There are still a lot of things I would like to do with the site, such as adding more games in an easier way.. and a few other things that I don't know how to code/program. Which is why I'm here on this forum to learn :)

Thanks in advance.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Review my site: 1cup1coffee.com

#2 SixOfEleven  Icon User is offline

  • using Caffeine;
  • member icon

Reputation: 942
  • View blog
  • Posts: 6,342
  • Joined: 18-October 08

Re: Review my site: 1cup1coffee.com

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:00 PM

TABLES! ICK!

Seriously, there are not a lot of web developers that like tables. Look into using divs with CSS for your layout. There are many tutorials here on DIC about CSS/HTML. If your site is not established and you have a lot of ads your visitors might not want to come back. Ads are a great way to make money on the net but unless you are established, high in the search engines and having many return visitors ads usually don't work all that well. (I found out the hard way. I had ads on my site for years and never had a single click.) The graphic was a little harsh on the eyes.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 Dantheman  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Regular

Reputation: 34
  • View blog
  • Posts: 445
  • Joined: 27-May 09

Re: Review my site: 1cup1coffee.com

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:22 PM

It's interesting to see a layout that resembles Windows workspace. Although I have already seen popups that try to trick people like that. Pretty amusing to see a similar thing pop up, imitate a scan of drive C: and say that I have 49 viruses.... while I'm sitting on a Linux box :D

Again, it's interesting, but not practical. People stare at a similar workspace all day, they'd like something more original when they're on a video game website.

This post has been edited by Dantheman: 03 July 2009 - 07:23 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#4 jakczuhang  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 34
  • Joined: 02-July 09

Re: Review my site: 1cup1coffee.com

Posted 04 July 2009 - 01:37 AM

View PostSixOfEleven, on 3 Jul, 2009 - 06:00 PM, said:

TABLES! ICK!

Seriously, there are not a lot of web developers that like tables. Look into using divs with CSS for your layout. There are many tutorials here on DIC about CSS/HTML. If your site is not established and you have a lot of ads your visitors might not want to come back. Ads are a great way to make money on the net but unless you are established, high in the search engines and having many return visitors ads usually don't work all that well. (I found out the hard way. I had ads on my site for years and never had a single click.) The graphic was a little harsh on the eyes.


Heh, this is one of the reasons why I am here. The layout was exported as html from Photoshop then I just used some basic html coding to link everything. The actual "Word Documents" page is an entire imagemap which makes it even more sad..

I still got much to learn lol.

And about ads.. From my experiences the uhh.. "recession" has had a direct impact on my adsense.. I used to get only a few clicks a day from a single small banner with some ads paying over $5 a click.. now I have three ads with 40-120 clicks a day and I make only a fraction of what I used to...


The graphic as in, from the ad or my homepage design?

View PostDantheman, on 3 Jul, 2009 - 06:22 PM, said:

It's interesting to see a layout that resembles Windows workspace. Although I have already seen popups that try to trick people like that. Pretty amusing to see a similar thing pop up, imitate a scan of drive C: and say that I have 49 viruses.... while I'm sitting on a Linux box :D

Again, it's interesting, but not practical. People stare at a similar workspace all day, they'd like something more original when they're on a video game website.


Exactly :)

Like I said in original post, this site was made for students to play games in school and employees to play games at work. Because it looks so similar, your teacher or boss might not realize your looking for games to play since it looks so familiar.

I don't have the programming resources to take on sites like miniclip, addictinggames, etc. so I can't make a true video game website yet so I just made this lol.

This post has been edited by jakczuhang: 04 July 2009 - 01:43 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 firebolt  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 92
  • View blog
  • Posts: 5,561
  • Joined: 20-February 09

Re: Review my site: 1cup1coffee.com

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:24 AM

May be. But I'm not sure it'll pass the school proxy server. :P

I would collate similar games together into a folder so the appearance looks better, not just having 50 or so word documents there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 firebolt  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 92
  • View blog
  • Posts: 5,561
  • Joined: 20-February 09

Re: Review my site: 1cup1coffee.com

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:31 AM

I might also add, you could possibly make the my computer link and others actually link to my computer. That would be smart and also convenient. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 RudiVisser  Icon User is offline

  • .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

Reputation: 1001
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,555
  • Joined: 05-June 09

Re: Review my site: 1cup1coffee.com

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:32 AM

Can I ask what the purpose of this is? I mean the redirection pages..

From a non-web dev standpoint I love that graphic :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 firebolt  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 92
  • View blog
  • Posts: 5,561
  • Joined: 20-February 09

Re: Review my site: 1cup1coffee.com

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:35 AM

Yes... Why are there so many ads? Is it necessary? If you know good advertising techniques, you won't need on site ads.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 RudiVisser  Icon User is offline

  • .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

Reputation: 1001
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,555
  • Joined: 05-June 09

Re: Review my site: 1cup1coffee.com

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:50 AM

Oh, is there meant to be ads there? I just see the text that's why I wondered :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 jakczuhang  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 34
  • Joined: 02-July 09

Re: Review my site: 1cup1coffee.com

Posted 05 July 2009 - 12:09 PM

View Postfirebolt, on 5 Jul, 2009 - 12:24 AM, said:

May be. But I'm not sure it'll pass the school proxy server. :P

I would collate similar games together into a folder so the appearance looks better, not just having 50 or so word documents there.


At the moment it's still accessible by most schools lol.

Do you know a way I can do that? An easier way that is CMS-like?

View Postfirebolt, on 5 Jul, 2009 - 12:31 AM, said:

I might also add, you could possibly make the my computer link and others actually link to my computer. That would be smart and also convenient. :)


I tried that but most OS/browsers shows a pop-up saying this site is trying to access your Whatever System Folder, and then makes them click Ok or something.. which would seem a bit suspicious.

View Postfirebolt, on 5 Jul, 2009 - 12:35 AM, said:

Yes... Why are there so many ads? Is it necessary? If you know good advertising techniques, you won't need on site ads.


It covers the costs to run the site and a few other fees here and there. I figured a single click to get past the ad page isn't too intrusive?

View PostMageUK, on 5 Jul, 2009 - 12:50 AM, said:

Oh, is there meant to be ads there? I just see the text that's why I wondered :D


Yes, you must have some ad-block plugin installed :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 BetaWar  Icon User is offline

  • #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

Reputation: 1105
  • View blog
  • Posts: 6,918
  • Joined: 07-September 06

Re: Review my site: 1cup1coffee.com

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:51 PM

The main page looks nice, but I am not afan of the games page. You should look into adding another skin for people who want to have similar look throughout (like the main page) that way you can choose what layout you want (like you are planning to do, but not require it to look like windows explorer).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1