Programming Guides

In which Avia decides that programming guides suck.

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 1025 Views - Last Post: 03 July 2009 - 10:33 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Programming Guides

Posted 03 July 2009 - 10:02 AM

The problem with guides to programming is that they go into the history of computers for half the book, then show you how to make a program with an obscure language that might not even exist anymore. Then, they tell you how all of it fits into the real world. Woohoo. It didn't even come with the disc to install the obscure language.

What they need to do is give you the list of commands, show you how they work together, and then give a few examples and THEN *GASP* give you the CD with the language editor on it.

I know that there's a few out there like this, but they cost 50-60 $ at used book stores, and then it makes no sense without the broken cd's tutorial.

In conclusion, this site is my new book on scripting without compilers. Congratulations, people of dream in code.

(However, I will admit that the books make good kindling)

This post has been edited by xxxAviaxxx: 03 July 2009 - 10:07 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Programming Guides

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Programming Guides

Posted 03 July 2009 - 09:51 PM

...then show you how to make a program with an obscure language that might not even exist anymore.
Programming has little to do with the language you use. I have quite a few programming books that have code example in BASIC and COBOL nether of which is used very often anymore, but this does not invalidate the book. The algorithms still work, the thought processes are still valid.

Knuth's books have their code examples done in a "fictitious" assembly language called MIX (it is no longer fictitious since there are now a number of MIX emulators).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Recovering D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Programming Guides

Posted 03 July 2009 - 10:33 PM

There are so, so, so many resources (guides) out there. They certainly all don't suck.
There are plenty of free and open source compilers out there.

If you are lucky enough there is also a public library with a wealth of books, new and old, that you can check out with the CD included.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1