5 Replies - 1005 Views - Last Post: 04 July 2009 - 06:52 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How did YOU begin?

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:56 PM

I'm probably asking a lot from you all here but I'll give this ago anyway. I was just curious for those who want to share how each one of you began in the world of ICT, Software Developing, Programming and etc...

You could share what inspired you?, what was your first programming language you used?, your difficulties and triumphs from the time you began to now, you first job in the field, your education at college/university, the people and experiences that helped you progress, what you learnt overall from the years and so on.

See I told you I was asking a lot :D

This post has been edited by Sasuke1988: 03 July 2009 - 06:57 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How did YOU begin?

• Disassembling...
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How did YOU begin?

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:48 PM

My first language was GML, and I wasn't really inspired by anything. I just wanted to make my own things. Although I'm not uni age yet, I think I've got this pretty much under control. (yeah right!! :P )
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:59 PM

Don't really remember why I started out. I just did. First thing I've learned was HTML, a year after I learned my first programming language - Liberty Basic.

This post has been edited by Dantheman: 03 July 2009 - 08:00 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:39 PM

Well I started out when I was 7 or 8 by learning HTML and other web development languages. I went on to dabble in javascript and vbscript until I found out how program. I started programing in C++ first and then moved on into C#, Visual Basic, C, and Java. I'm still in High School so no job (in IT) and no college yet. I was inspired mostly just by being curious about what was going on behind the scenes in computers and electronics. So now I'm a self-taught computer programmer and web developer. I suck but at least I can say I didn't need any help :)

This post has been edited by chris772: 03 July 2009 - 08:41 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 July 2009 - 10:25 PM

Well, it really started trying to figure out how to read the language. HTML was gibberish until I started to type it into notepad. It became a habit and I started to experiment the Macromedia series. Soon I got over it and something else needed to be of interest to me. Learning to make windows programs was high on the list and my teacher suggested VB. VB6 was old but looked more basic than VB.NET. It seemed to be "peaceful" in mind so I improved my VB6 skills. At the same time, VB.NET was being advised by many so I got into the .NET framework languages. Others I just hinted on were regex and maybe javascript at sometime during HTML. But there was no real dedication to any language. Just done a bit here and there. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Resident Curmudgeon

• View blog

Posted 04 July 2009 - 06:52 AM

My first language was C++, because that's what they taught at my college. My motivation wasn't anything particularly deep or inspiring - it was the late 1990's and this "internet" thing was really starting to take off, so I figured it would be a good idea to learn something about computers. So I took the intro to CS class and learned a bit of programming. Turned out that I really enjoyed it and was actually pretty good at it, so I decided to turn that into a career.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1