6 Replies - 1314 Views - Last Post: 08 July 2009 - 06:58 AM

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Project Natal - Entertainment Above Imagination

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:39 PM

Microsoft showed the new development that will dirrectly influence the world of gaming and entertainment by providing possibilities that will use the most easy-to-use controller for all the gaming and entertainment needs - the human itself. How this works? Check out the video below.

Project Natal

I was really impressed by this and I do think that when this technology will be released in public it will definitely bring the entertainment to places it never was before. Even people who don't have major gaming skills or are new to the world of technology will have the possiblity to access the most recent entertainment elements, including games, movies and online interactions. My only concern right now is the possible price for the elements needed to make the project to run, however, in the modern world technology evolves so fast that the actual production cost probably won't be that high as I expect.

What do you guys think about this?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Project Natal - Entertainment Above Imagination

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Project Natal - Entertainment Above Imagination

Posted 05 July 2009 - 01:58 PM

I am actually thinking this is kinda lame. First of all, when he shows off his avatar, the avatar is not mimicing his movements all that great. It is coming along but motion capture without attaching anything to your body is going to be very buggy. And of course you are going to have nothing but games which lack true accuracy.

The games they show are innovative for sure, but they act like it is completely new. I have seen motion capturing on games for the better part of 5 years now. I think microsoft is looking at Wii for inspiration on this (think motion with Wii console and things like Wii fit)

Lastly, some gamers (myself included) actually like to sit back on a couch and chill with games not hopping around to play some more. Sure I think the fitness thing is important but when you are an active person and want to sit and rest with a nice strategy game or mmorpg, the last thing we want to do is be physically running through the game world to catch up with our guild.

Certainly cool, but may not cater too much to the hard core gamers that would spend days on the console and spend every last dime they have gaming. I am really disappointed to see console gaming trying to appeal to the mass market of illiterate gamer soccer moms and geriatric seniors to keep them in shape. Let them play the Wii, leave the 360 and PS3 to those who want serious adventure.

:)

This post has been edited by Martyr2: 05 July 2009 - 02:00 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 July 2009 - 02:04 PM

Well seems like this is in no way going to me a mandatory upgrade. Most likely there will be an option - either you use the regular controller or buy a set (or just a single) of devices that will offer you motion capture and simulation.

Indeed, I completely agree with you, Martyr2, that there are games where you just want to sit and relax (Call Of Duty and Grand Theft Auto come to mind) and where jumping around for every single action can't be even imagined.

However, motion capture itself is pretty fun to have when you have something like a tennis game (like Sonic Tennis) and makes the console more accessible (example moving in the main menu by using your hand).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:11 PM

I guess I would fit in the middle of the road here. I would consider myself a hard core gamer and have been playing games for as long as I can remember on consoles and pc's. I still do play games however we have to look at change and growth. I have children that play games (rpgs, fps', simulators, etc.) and when I look at where we came from and where we are going you can only think that we can only move forward. We have to think, what is Microsoft trying to offer the future gamer? I understand, though I/we as an older gaming generation have a solid foundation in controllers and keyboards, our kids should have the best of what we can offer. I try to live by the thought process what can I make better for the generation that is coming to replace me? Video gaming is no different... Just my two cents...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:20 PM

Well, I think it will be interesting and possibly dislodge some Nintendo fans, but I don't think it will be the best control setup in the world.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:17 PM

My bad, BetaWar :)

Well it probably really depends on what games you're going to play to make full use of the motion control.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:58 AM

it really depends on how well it works. If its real accurate, then i can see it gaining ground on the wii. but if its accuracy isnt much better than the wii, then its just a glorified eye toy, then it will be garbage. but the voice recognition and facial recognition seems like it could have some really cool uses. maybe we can turn our xbox on and off just by telling it to?? or have it turn on when we give it the nod(literally nod at the xbox)??
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1