• « First

56 Replies - 14283 Views - Last Post: 11 May 2011 - 04:11 PM

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: VB6 runtime will no longer be shipped after Windows 7

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:51 AM

I said noone serious would use it.

I'm just curious, why CodeProject, MySpace, Dell and Barnes&Noble use ASP.NET for their web sites, if that wouldn't be a reliable and productive technology?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:57 AM

View PostBillgoates, on 17 Jul, 2009 - 02:34 AM, said:

I said noone serious would use it.

Last time I checked Barnes & Noble, New Egg, CodeProject and MySpace were pretty huge and serious companies. You really are stuck in the 90's aren't you?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:05 AM

Good.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Recovering D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:06 PM

Pointers anyone?

I am also kind of stuck on

Maybe you are happy developing .NET, there are plenty others who aren't. If you look at code submissions at planet source code you will see twice as much VB6 submissions compared to all .NET languages combined.

Because we all know that the number of lines of code a particular language has on Planet Source Code is a clear indication of how "happy" the developers using it are. I suppose those developing with ColdFusion, SQL and Perl are the most likely to commit suicide.
Also note that those stats count lines of not just VB6 code, but also must include VB 3, 4, 5 and VBA\VB Script. VBScript?!

Speaking of PSC, do the Exhedra sites use ASP.Net? The "About the Site" info hasn't been updated in the past decade.

But what made me decide not to use .net is much simpler. In VB6 you can set a Maskpicture + MaskColor to a UserControl that actually works.

Er... :dope: :dope: :crazy: :hehe:

This post has been edited by LoveIsNull: 29 July 2009 - 09:08 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:54 AM

View PostLoveIsNull, on 29 Jul, 2009 - 08:06 PM, said:

I am also kind of stuck on

Maybe you are happy developing .NET, there are plenty others who aren't. If you look at code submissions at planet source code you will see twice as much VB6 submissions compared to all .NET languages combined.

Because we all know that the number of lines of code a particular language has on Planet Source Code is a clear indication of how "happy" the developers using it are. I suppose those developing with ColdFusion, SQL and Perl are the most likely to commit suicide.
Also note that those stats count lines of not just VB6 code, but also must include VB 3, 4, 5 and VBA\VB Script. VBScript?!

Those numbers are submissions, not lines of code, a big difference. And it's possible to do a selection on vb6 submissions only.

It's true PSC isn't an accurate measurement of a language's popularity, especially not between languages that don't compare, but it can prove the only point I have been trying to make. And that is that the VB6 is far from dead, even while the "new and improved" VB is on the market for over 7 years.

Speaking of PSC, do the Exhedra sites use ASP.Net? The "About the Site" info hasn't been updated in the past decade.

They probably didn't feel it necessary to rewrite an already working website.

But what made me decide not to use .net is much simpler. In VB6 you can set a Maskpicture + MaskColor to a UserControl that actually works.

Er... :dope: :dope: :crazy: :hehe:

Let me guess, you never had to rewrite software to get half way stuck on some mandatory piece of code that cannot be written in the new language?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:07 AM

Let me guess, you never had to rewrite software to get half way stuck on some mandatory piece of code that cannot be written in the new language?

Again, there is no such thing that can be implemented in VB6 and cannot be implemented in .NET - it all depends on the knowledge and experience.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:22 AM

Does any one know if the legacy functions will removed as well?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:19 PM

They probably didn't feel it necessary to rewrite an already working website.

Didn't say they did. I actually formed that as a question, with a question mark at the end and everything. But "already working websites" seem like they still might undergo changes from time to time.

It's true PSC isn't an accurate measurement of a language's popularity, especially not between languages that don't compare, but it can prove the only point I have been trying to make. And that is that the VB6 is far from dead, even while the "new and improved" VB is on the market for over 7 years.

Can it prove that? Can it, really? I don't think so. It would be interesting if they had statistics that showed VB6 code submission rates over the past decade, maybe. But without anything like that I don't see how it proves anything other than that VB-Classic was once very popular and managed to accumulate a lot of code submissions during a period of time on a particular website.
Even then, I still don't think your "point" would matter very much, if it's heart hasn't quite stopped beating yet, it will soon, because it looks like Microsoft just took it off of life support.

Does any one know if the legacy functions will removed as well?

I don't know, but I don't see why they would do that so soon after. You have to consider that if more people will be switching to .Net now, then those legacy functions will be utilized still by those just making the switch. There are also people, unfortunately, still using the stuff in new code.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2009 - 07:47 AM

View PostCore, on 31 Jul, 2009 - 08:07 AM, said:

Again, there is no such thing that can be implemented in VB6 and cannot be implemented in .NET - it all depends on the knowledge and experience.

You are wrong, .Net didn't support all old usercontrol methods and properties, like maskpicture I mentioned before. Now it maybe does, but now I don't care anymore, because programming Windows Applications is something from the past.

View PostLoveIsNull, on 31 Jul, 2009 - 06:19 PM, said:

Can it prove that? Can it, really? I don't think so. It would be interesting if they had statistics that showed VB6 code submission rates over the past decade, maybe. But without anything like that I don't see how it proves anything other than that VB-Classic was once very popular and managed to accumulate a lot of code submissions during a period of time on a particular website.

You missed the 'newest code' button, it will show submissions reverse sorted by date.

This post has been edited by Billgoates: 01 August 2009 - 07:48 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:21 PM

Right, because I am totally going to go through each and every submission that might not even be sorted correctly and tally them all up by year.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:08 PM

Now it maybe does, but now I don't care anymore, because programming Windows Applications is something from the past.

And what is the argument demonstrating this "fact"? Windows applicaiton programming goes on a new level every year - WinForms, then WPF, now the new Windows 7 API gives the developer even more possiblities. Windows applications and thier development will exist as long as the Windows OS will exist.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:11 PM

because up to now there are still alot of students studying the basic programming though visual.
Like me, we still need to study vb6 until get to the next one.
You guys should get it knowing what would happen if future programmers
doesn't even know the earlier basics and programming lessons if they study
latest version of vb6 if by chance vb6 is gone,
It'll be getting harder and harder for them the next gen.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First