7 Replies - 1647 Views - Last Post: 09 July 2009 - 06:08 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Relavance of VB

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:00 AM

Hii

I have a doubt that does the VB Language have that much importance in today's world.

If so why.??

And which all areas uses VB..??

Hope someone can help me..

This post has been edited by ronaldjames: 08 July 2009 - 03:04 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Relavance of VB

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Relavance of VB

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:39 AM

VB and it's conversion to .NET as the underlying runtime has made it very similar to C# (and Java) with a different syntax. It is an easy entry point to the .NET world for programmers from VB6 and before. My most proficient language is C, but for Windows development, VB.Net is a better tool for me. The choice of a programming language is a mixture or personal taste, familiarity, appropriateness and "religion". Better programmers tend to be multi-lingual with experience in declarative languages, functional languages, database languages and any other language that catches their fancy. Many shops use C# and VB as the front end for database apps. See what the market in your area uses.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:52 AM

Moved to Corner Cubical (since this isn't an actual programming help question) :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:59 AM

for business applications, vb.net is the tool to use. You can choose to use c#, but you will result in the same thing. so if u like the syntax for c# better, then use that. but vb can accomplish the same things. If you want to program device drivers, operating systems and stuff like that, then no vb is not the answer. but if you want to run reports, create reports, save data to databases, create nice user interfaces, then vb is one of the best options you have. the only reason you hear people who hate it is because its syntax is different than most languages and because of the older versions of vb,not vb.net. sometimes i feel like if vb had {} and ; it would be much more respected.

This post has been edited by bflosabre91: 08 July 2009 - 09:01 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:39 PM

Take a look at how professionals apply Visual Basic for their development needs:

http://msdn.microsof...c/dd776132.aspx
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:04 PM

It's all just a matter of taste. Our company uses VB since my boss and I are the only developers and we just prefer it better. We can write in C# but at the end of the day, they both accomplish the same thing.

~Camo
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:47 AM

Me and Baavgai have relatively the same view on VB, and VB.NET. VB is useless garbage, and VB.NET is still garbage, but it's not useless.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:08 AM

AFAIK VB (not VB.Net) is pretty irrelevant. There are still applications that were built upon it -- but most are pretty much going out of style. There are still people who use it but applications that are built with it will mostly look dated and probably have a limited lifespan. -- that being said, it is still a viable compiler that produces executable code so one CAN use it, and one really can do just about anything that the computer is capable of doing with it. It is not dead -- just behind the times.

VB.Net (classic VB's .Net younger brother) is a perfectly viable and modern language. There are some rumors that Microsoft may drop the language since C# can do everything it can do -- but Microsoft likes BASIC and has really always had some version of BASIC out there. I don't think Microsoft is likely to really let go of their past so easily.

VB.Net can do everything that C# can do, it is a better OO language than previous versions of VB. Its main detractors are the same as any .Net language -- its platform dependent and may function a little more slowly than native code - and it a new and uncomfortable version of BASIC that may take a little bit to get used to. And of course, since it is BASIC -- professional developers will always stick their noses in the air and call it names. (This is just always been the case... there has mostly been a grain of truth to the rude comments point in BASIC's direction, but in the end it is the programmers that make programs - not the language).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1