switching form win XP to linux

• (2 Pages)
  • +

19 Replies - 3592 Views - Last Post: 29 June 2005 - 09:29 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Linux on CD

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:11 PM

I have decided to try linux on CD or Linux live before i switch completly. i want to use a more windows like interface like knoppix. i am also downloading slax and hope it might be what i like. the question is do you know any linux systems that run on CD and have NFTS support or can have NFTS support. becuase i would still like to access my windows files on linux like music and games.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Linux on CD

• The Innocent Shall Suffer, Big Time
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Linux on CD

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:39 PM

knoppix has both ntfs read support, and capability for ntfs captive drives, which will allow for write support.

Take it slow starting with knoppix, Remember to read read read. The worst thing you can do with linux is try to do too much too fast. Get a feel on how it works. Remember linux is not windows, it is not meant to replace the exact functionality of windows.

Game support is not so good. When you decide to install, If you must play games create a dual boot system, my harddrive tutorial talks some about it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2005 - 07:10 AM

You can also check the unbuntu live cd...It's not as good as knoppix, IMO, as far as Live CD's go...but it is another view, can't hurt to try a few, and see what is best for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:21 PM

i have tried ubuntu and i felt that is was to mac like. i like mac's it is just that i am more use to a windows settings. also i have tried knoppix but it couldn't render the graphics it just had a bad screen of random color. and every time my brother in law tried to fix it it stayed the same. he used the + and - . i dont now exactly what that does on linux but he said it changed the resolution or something.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2005 - 09:42 PM

Hmm...nova mentioned it earlier, but you should be aware that linux distros are not replacements for windows...they are operating systems unto themselves. While each distro has it's own flavour, I'm not sure that you will find one that is an exact copy of windows. Perhaps if comparability with windows is your main criteria, you might wish to try lindows (or whatever they are calling it these days), or even re-evaluate why you are thinking of switching to linux.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2005 - 10:01 PM

the reason i want to switch to linux is that one day my computer became corupted and all of my files were corupted too. but then my brother in law came over with a linux on CD and restored all of my files. i was impressed. the windows technical support said that i hade to buy a new comp. and would never be able to get my hardrive fixed. now i backup my hardrive weekly. i dont want a exact copy of windows. i just want a form of linux that works in the same way that windows is organized. i have had a mac before and they make amazing products. there fast efficent, but i have become used to windows and how to find stuff on the hardrive. mac's are to differntly oragazied for me. the make things too simple and i feel that i have less control over the computer when using mac's. that's why i went to windows. and i know that with linux u can have alot more control over the computer. also linux doesn't come with all of this junk you might not need. when you can find better copied version on the internet. like free spyware remover. i know that spybot and adaware are better the the windows version. but that is just my reason.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2005 - 10:10 PM

I certainly understand your reasoning, but generally, linux filesystems are organized in the same manner that UNIX filesystems are, not like windows filesystems.

Having said that, once linux has been installed, there is really nothing to prevent you from setting up a filesystem that mimics a windows filesystem.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 June 2005 - 10:43 PM

I dont quite know what UNIX is. i have heard of it. i thought it was just another version of linux. and also i am trying on a CD. i guess i could just set up my own file system i guess there's another good reason about linux!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 June 2005 - 07:13 AM

UNIX is not a version of linux, UNIX is the original operating system on which linux distros were built, both physically and philosophically. The granddaddy of operating systems if you will. UNIX was around long before windows was even a concept, and to this day is still the most powerful and adaptable system for many business needs (I'm talking about real business needs, not desktop software for a company).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• printf("I'm a %XR",195936478);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 June 2005 - 07:09 AM

if you really have doubts on whether to use Linux full-time use Knoppix from the CD instead of installing it initially.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:35 PM

I am running Linux Enterprise ES on one machine, Linux Enterprise WS on another and Windows XP Professional x64 on this one. Linux generaly out performs windows but is very much different in launching and running files, it is mostly done from a command line interface similiar to the old MsDos. This is great for a power user considering you are willing to take the time to learn the command line structure and are willing to get used to a gui interface much like Windows but with a functionality that is much different. If you are used to Windows and like the functionality I would stick with it, although there are some virtual machine programs that allow you to run multiple operating systems simultaneously on the same hard drive.

Beware....dual boot with Linux may leave Windows disfunctional...happened to me, grub loader failed and I had to pull the partition and reinstall.

Good luck :pirate:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:51 PM

P.S.

You might find this interesting http://www.vmware.com

running Linux on Windows virtual machine software. :pirate:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:52 PM

denvers1, on Jun 16 2005, 03:35 PM, said:

Beware....dual boot with Linux may leave Windows disfunctional...happened to me, grub loader failed and I had to pull the partition and reinstall.

You probably could have either reinstalled grub with a grub boot disk, or done fixmbr from the windows recovery console.

Also beware dual boot with windows may cause windows to crap itself and delete 20gigs of music

I boot into windows and it wanted to run scandisk, so I said fine. Then it BSOD'd or something similar in the middle of scandisk, 20gigs gone. Needless to say I didnt run windows on that box ever ever again
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:53 PM

denvers1, on Jun 16 2005, 03:51 PM, said:

P.S.

You might find this interesting http://www.vmware.com

running Linux on Windows virtual machine software. :pirate:

vmware costs,

Running the live distros is the best idea for starting out. If you feel like taking the plung and installing to harddrive, back up your data first.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• still.dreaming
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2005 - 12:00 AM

I've just dl'ed Knoppix 3.9 LiveCD, thanx to this thread, and it is quite cool. For somebody who just wants to muck around and get used to linux, the idea of no install.. run from cd.. is awesome.

Ran it yesterday. Didn't identify my Gigabyte Radeon 9600Pro, but I expected that. It booted X in vesa. But apart from that, it worked like a charm.

Internet was automatically configured so surfing the net involved starting firefox... no configuration needed.

Try it. You won't be disappointed.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +